Range Rovers Forum banner

Power Steering Flush-Any particular method to follow?

7K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  TheoR 
#1 ·
So, as I was getting a new set of tires installed on my RR the other day, the tire store, which also happens to do general maintenance service, decided to give me a complimentary checkup.

I was told that everything looked OK w/ the exception of the valve cover leak and the dirtiness of the power steering fluid. Now, I knew that the valve cover was leaking a bit, like any other RRs, but until now didn't even cross my mind to flush the power steering fluid.

So, with regards to the power steering fluid, is there a recommended way to do the flush? I was thinking about doing the turkey baster method of replacing most of the fluid in the resevoir w/ new fluid. Atleast, my thinking is that doing so is gonna get the overall ph level down.

#2 ·
That's a good question, I know mine needs to be done too as it is very dirty. I found this article that explains how to do it for BMWs which use the same ZF system that rover uses. Make sure you use Dexron III transmission fluid in it and NOTHING else!

#3 ·
Hey, thanks for the input about the Dexron III. Though getting my hands on straight-forward Dexron IIIs might be difficult as most auto shops around here has Dexron IV or, some mixture that's for extended mile vehicles and/or domestic vehicles w/ specs requiring Dexron IIIs or better-But doesn't exactly say that it's Dexron IIIs.

BTW, was there supposed to be a link in your text? I was curious about the article that you're talking about.

#4 ·
Disconnect return hose to power steering fluid tank. cap bottom of tank. have a buddie start engine and slowly turn wheel from left to right while you keep tank full. When fluid runs clean reinstall return line, fill and turn steering from left to right a couple times to burp any air from system. Top off tank.

#5 ·
rrtoadhall said:
Disconnect return hose to power steering fluid tank. cap bottom of tank. have a buddie start engine and slowly turn wheel from left to right while you keep tank full. When fluid runs clean reinstall return line, fill and turn steering from left to right a couple times to burp any air from system. Top off tank.
That is what I was thinking about doing but wasn't sure, I'm glad I know it works ahead of time :D .

Hey, thanks for the input about the Dexron III. Though getting my hands on straight-forward Dexron IIIs might be difficult as most auto shops around here has Dexron IV or, some mixture that's for extended mile vehicles and/or domestic vehicles w/ specs requiring Dexron IIIs or better-But doesn't exactly say that it's Dexron IIIs.
I know, its odd but the service manual calls for it so I guess we should follow it. I would try looking for bottles that say "mercon III" on them. I know some of owners on the forum that have used dexron Iv (which replaced and "can be used" for dexron III but that is LIES) get grinding noises in the transmission and odd shifting. I was one of those owners, the grinding noise is faint and I doubt it is doing any harm, but I wanted the noise gone lol. Mine was replaced with a vavoline mercon III ATF. And my transmission loves it! I will be using the same stuff when I flush the power steering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.