RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you have vacuum pump you can use it to flush/change steering fluid in your car. you will need 2 L of fluid ( I use Pentosin/FUCS 202.), plug of some sort to plug return line connection and a means to connect vacuum pump to the return hose. that is it.
First suck all fluid from reservoir, there is going to be about a finger of fluid left on the bottom due to mesh on the bottom of the reservoir. unscrew bolt holding windscreen washer fluid reservoir so to gain some space when removing return pipe on the bottom of fluid reservoir. (smaller of the two hoses is return). use pliers to move spring clip down the hose and remove hose. put cap on the nipple, fill reservoir with fluid, connect vacuum to the rubber hose and watch fluid go down. keep adding fluid as needed. when you see clear fluid coming out you are done.
unplug vacuum, take plug off the reservoir (use finger to stop fluid from escaping) and reattach return hose. fill reservoir to the mark and that is it. start the car, turn steering wheel full left to full right.

20171111_115850.jpg
20171111_115715.jpg
20171111_120145.jpg

this was the first time I've change fluid, second time I went a step further, after sucking fluid from reservoir I used flash light to check inside and I could see debris on the mesh, so removed the reservoir and given it a good wash with brake fluid. as you can see from the pictures -good as new. put reservoir beck on and repeat above procedure.

20180416_141837.jpg 20180416_141823.jpg 20180416_142239.jpg 20180416_142307.jpg

short hose on the reservoir is what I use to plug hole in reservoir.

Buba, :thumb:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. I take it you have more than one vehicle in your stable or you are beyond meticulous.:shock:

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
diff, my second car is Smart fortwo, nice for town driving and BMW R1200S. if you commenting on mine vacuum setup I made that for my RC planes wings vacuum bagging (carbon fiber, Kevlar, glass fabric epoxy over dow corning blue insulation) for that setup it is important to have means of controlling amount of vacuum being pulled. for the RR I've use it for brake fluid flush, steering system flush and oil change. 2012 TDV8 is set for vacuum oil change, and I change oil every 5K km. so nice vacuum setup is a big bonus. if you are handy it can be made for very little money. fridge compressor can be had from junk yard for free or next to noting, and vacuum switch and regulator are optional.

buba :thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
if you have vacuum pump you can use it to flush/change steering fluid in your car. you will need 2 L of fluid ( I use Pentosin/FUCS 202.), plug of some sort to plug return line connection and a means to connect vacuum pump to the return hose. that is it.
First suck all fluid from reservoir, there is going to be about a finger of fluid left on the bottom due to mesh on the bottom of the reservoir. unscrew bolt holding windscreen washer fluid reservoir so to gain some space when removing return pipe on the bottom of fluid reservoir. (smaller of the two hoses is return). use pliers to move spring clip down the hose and remove hose. put cap on the nipple, fill reservoir with fluid, connect vacuum to the rubber hose and watch fluid go down. keep adding fluid as needed. when you see clear fluid coming out you are done.
unplug vacuum, take plug off the reservoir (use finger to stop fluid from escaping) and reattach return hose. fill reservoir to the mark and that is it. start the car, turn steering wheel full left to full right.

View attachment 261098
View attachment 261106
View attachment 261114

this was the first time I've change fluid, second time I went a step further, after sucking fluid from reservoir I used flash light to check inside and I could see debris on the mesh, so removed the reservoir and given it a good wash with brake fluid. as you can see from the pictures -good as new. put reservoir beck on and repeat above procedure.

View attachment 261122 View attachment 261130 View attachment 261138 View attachment 261146

short hose on the reservoir is what I use to plug hole in reservoir.

Buba, :thumb:

Just completed a steering fluid change on my '06 TD6 using your system above but whith a hand pumped engine oil extractor and it worked perfectly. Used about 1 litre of fluid to completely flush through the dirty fluid to lovely clean green! Thanks for the post and hope it helps others.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts