RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an odd problem with my 95 LWB. When I punch it down it only revs up to around 4000 RPM then drops off quickly and resumes a bit. While driving under load, especially uphill it loses power. The transmission seems to shift down, but there is no power coming from the engine and RPM drops. If I manually select 1st gear there is only limited power.

Initially I looked at the MAF and disconnected it, which allowed me to drive it up in neutral well over 4000 RPM without a drop off... so I've tried replacing the MAF, but it made no difference. It's an used MAF, but I doubt they both behave in the same exact way. I am starting to wonder if it's the alternator... I have a whine on the radio every now and then. Any other hints where to look next?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was playing around with ign coils and had this same problem with one of them...would only show when under load. If it was in neutral or park it would rev fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
slvdc1 said:
I was playing around with ign coils and had this same problem with one of them...would only show when under load. If it was in neutral or park it would rev fine.
It's definitely more noticeable under load, but I see a rev drop in neutral as well... just not sure if this is a normal thing for the ECU to do. I will definitely check the ignition coil, thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Luckily for me I had some good spares. I believe you can check them with an ohm meter though I don't know what the readings should be. ill poke around the rave manual a bit

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are definitely ticking noises coming from the ignition coil. I tried to clean all contacts and they look pretty ok to me, but the ticking persists. No sparks are visible and I don't want to remove the cover off the coil wire while the engine is running.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If its ticking then it might be arcing and you just cant see it. it should not be ticking at all, you might only see it in the dark as a faint blue streak.

BTW what type of fuel are you using? I find that 87 octane w/ E10 doesn't go over well. Also the manual specifically says not to use blended gasoline. Also says minimum octane of 91 I believe.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Sounds like it could definitely be coil related, also perhaps king lead (HT lead from the coil to dist cap).

Also check air filter and consider changing the fuel filter.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Could also be a loss of fuel pressure caused by faulty pump or blocked filter when demand is high.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Laurie said:
Could also be a loss of fuel pressure caused by faulty pump or blocked filter when demand is high.
I finally got around to fix this problem and it was indeed a faulty fuel pump. Fuel pressure was ok at low RPMs but would drop dramatically at high RPMs. Thanks to everybody who contributed.

It feels good to have my most capable car back, especially with the 25 inches of snowfall last night.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts