RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took the rover in for low coolant message. They said water pump was bad. They replaced the pump, 2 hoses, and 2 belts. On the way home I got low coolant light again and then I saw the temp gauge shoot up and got engine overheating message. Pulled the car over immediately and popped the hood. Steam and coolant all over the place and it all drained out the bottom. Repair place towed the car back to their shop and they said the water outlet flange under the blower pretty much disintegrated. They replaced it and I got the car back. Now the car feels like there is a definite power loss and I can smell fluid really bad. The shop said it may take a day or two for the engine to burn off all the fluid and smell to go away. While that may be true, I am concerned the heads may have been damaged when it overheated causing the power loss and smell. Anyone have any ideas how I can check this without pulling the head? There are no visible leaks but there wasn't before when water pump failed either. Only thing I know of is smell exhaust and check oil stick for the water in oil. Thanks everyone.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
You are going to smell coolant for weeks unless you clean the engine. There simply is no way around it. Your entire engine compartment will be covered in it inclusive of your under hood insulation pad. Since the engine did overheat you may very well have damaged it... not likely if you did pull over soon enough. First thing to do is change your oil and filter. If it didn;t need it before all of this, it will now. When the coolant disappears, oil is the only thing cooling your engine and that does not last long. It will have taken a beating when the engine overheated. It will have lost much of it's lubricating properties and may be stressing the engine. That may be the loss of power you are noticing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts