RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bad storm this afternoon. driving my rover and i believe a power downed power line grazed my rover as i was driving it. it was not yet on the ground and i swerved to avoid it. but not sure if i missed it completely. i did not hear anything. but immediately after this happened the speakers in my rover developed a loud and low hum. they have now diminished into static. there is also a hum coming from the engine compartment when my rig is turned off. i left for work almost immediately after this. 10 hours later the rover still fires up right away. so whatever is running/humming in the engine compartment did not drain the battery. it seems to run fine and there are no dash lights illuminated except the srs which was lit before. what might i have done to the electrical system? any direction on the possible damage or what may be running inside the engine compartment w/ the vehicle off would be appreciated. thank you much.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi Wilderfouge,

This might be a silly question, however, have you lifted the bonnet to find out which region of the engine bay the noise is coming from? This would help to work out what might be still going.

Cheers

·
Registered
494 Posts
a short or a fuse from the powerline perhaps? i always was under the impression cars are well grounded from external attack but that's probably a gross oversimplification.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
ABS pump/compressor but my bet is by now if its ABS pump its burnt out, relays at fault

TIP to everyone else is to replace that black relay, had a customer with one last week, removed relay and broke open
not a pretty sight seeing those two supposidly heavy duty contacts all burnt up

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you to everyone for the direction. i apologize for not being more specific. i have had very little time during daylight hours since this occurred to look into it. the humming noise turned out to be the driver's side headlight wiper motor running constantly. i just unplugged it at this point. the speakers somehow healed themselves. almost. there seems to be an abnormal static to them at times. although it's not constant. if anybody has anything further to add. i welcome it. thank you.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you have a spare battery that you can use for testing, I would disconnect the current one and connect the spare (it doesn't have to be exactly the right type of battery) and then see if the speakers are still crackling at times also if the headlight wiper is still going. It could be that the power from the line has done some funny things with the battery. Failing that the headlight wiper is on permanently due to an issue in the BECM, if this is the case then there is very little to be done about it I would have thought.

Oh a tip for everyone when changing car batteries, if you place a 9 volt battery in line with the car battery before disconnecting and keep it connected whilst you change to the new battery, your settings for windows, radio and any other gizmoes that require power to keep the settings should be kept.

Cheer

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
wilderflouge said:
the humming noise turned out to be the driver's side headlight wiper motor running constantly. i just unplugged it at this point. the speakers somehow healed themselves. almost. there seems to be an abnormal static to them at times. although it's not constant. if anybody has anything further to add. i welcome it. thank you.
Phew arnt you lucky it wasnt ABS pump........aint cheap

Speakers clearing themselves, well seems you may have bad connections somewhere, happened on my right rear.
Removed amp unit from door, opened up amp and using a magnifying glass I could see dry spots, resoldered dry spots
on output IC, re installed and it worked, Its possible your faulty speker issue may return but we'll hold thumbs it dont

1 - 7 of 7 Posts