RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Has anybody looked into retrofitting the 2007+ Power Fold Side Mirrors on a 2006 RRS?
I wonder if it would be easy to wire the mirrors up to fold. Anybody know whats involved?

Thanks,
Mike

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
You need the mirrors with built-in folding motor (about $600 per pair or so) and the "powerfold" electronic module (+/- $300), so it's not a cheap retrofit. And that's just for parts, whether or not the dealer needs to get involved to reconfigure the car software to recognize the new module, I am not sure. Instructions for fitting these mirrors on a car not equipped with them are not provided anywhere, since this is a factory feature. So, don't expect a lot of cooperation from your local dealer in getting the parts or installing them for you, regardless of how much money you throw at them. But if you are interested I can look up the specifics in the shop manual.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello umbertob,

I can't believe LR didn't have power fold mirrors in 2006. It gets me so mad when I have to manually fold the mirror!
I decided to go with the power fold mirrors. I know it's going to be pricey but most parts are available so getting parts won't be an issue.

I know I have to get:
LEFT & RIGHT Power Fold Mirrors (Less than $600.00 for the pair)
Power Fold Mirror Switch (Less than $30.00)
Power Fold Module (Do you have the part number for this?)

Do you happen to know if anybody has successfully retrofitted the mirrors?
I'm sure the wire harness is probably different so rewiring is probably necessary.

Would you be able to look up the specifics in the shop manual? How can I get a copy of the shop manual?

Thank you so much ubertob!

Michael Ahn

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,470 Posts
GuNBeeM said:
Hello umbertob,

I can't believe LR didn't have power fold mirrors in 2006. It gets me so mad when I have to manually fold the mirror!
I decided to go with the power fold mirrors. I know it's going to be pricey but most parts are available so getting parts won't be an issue.

I know I have to get:
LEFT & RIGHT Power Fold Mirrors (Less than $600.00 for the pair)
Power Fold Mirror Switch (Less than $30.00)
Power Fold Module (Do you have the part number for this?)

Do you happen to know if anybody has successfully retrofitted the mirrors?
I'm sure the wire harness is probably different so rewiring is probably necessary.

Would you be able to look up the specifics in the shop manual? How can I get a copy of the shop manual?

Thank you so much ubertob!

Michael Ahn
I saw a guy at the LR dealer powerfold his mirrors once on a 2006, but he did it the old fashioned way, by backing out too close to the pillar! Ouch!

If you're going to retrofit, it'd be cool to be able to wag your mirrors, kind of like an elephant flaps its ears! :D :D Curious to see if this actually works...as trying to retrofit other 2007+ devices hasn't proven to be successful, e.g. the 1 touch window module.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Hey Michael, you are a brave man for trying this! AFAIK, only one forum member here successfully retrofitted his 2006 RRS with powerfold mirrors, but he wasn't much help when we asked him how he did it (JohnRRS, quite a character: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20830 :roll: )

I don't have a part # for the "Foldback ECU" (which really looks like a glorified relay switch to me...), sorry. The shop manual does not say, so you will have to get a friendly service dept to tell you. However, I think I have identified the socket near the passenger compartment fusebox where you would plug the module into. If you look just to the right of the fusebox (behind the lower glove box), on the corner closest to the passenger door, there is a large, green square socket designed to receive a module/relay switch, which is obviously not there on our 2006s. This is better illustrated in the picture on the last attachment below (relay base C0907), although the picture is of a RH drive vehicle - everything is inverted on LH drive vehicles, so look on the opposite side of the fusebox - and the foldback ECU in that picture is in place, while it is missing in our cars, d'oh! :wink:

I do not think you would need a new mirror switch - our switch should already be capable of folding/unfolding the mirrors once the proper controls are in place, by pushing the switch directly down - and I am not so sure you would need to rewire anything, either... From what I understand looking at the electrical diagrams, the folding motor is contained within each powerfold mirror, and power appears to be delivered by the same harness connected to our existing, non-powerfold memory mirrors. But it is just an uneducated guess on my part, I'm afraid. Anyway, I hope the enclosures help somewhat. Keep us posted if you are successful in retrofitting them.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much umbertob! This is so helpful!
I doesn't look too tricky especially now that I have wiring diagrams...

Once I get all the parts I will do a write up on this. I'm sure there's lots people pissed off people that needs power folding mirrors. What was Land Rover thinking? I didn't even test drive the RRS before I bought it, I was really pissed when I found out it doesn't have power folding mirrors and a back up camera. I was so sure this was all included since my 2006 RR HSE came with it.

Thanks again umbertob!

Michael

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
PJPR01 said:
I saw a guy at the LR dealer powerfold his mirrors once on a 2006, but he did it the old fashioned way, by backing out too close to the pillar! Ouch!
You must have missed me on Birdseye Gulch when a tree did it for me... :dance:

GuNBeeM said:
Once I get all the parts I will do a write up on this.
That would be nice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts