RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick question for those of you familiar with wheel services and pricing.

I recently acquired a set of 16" Land Rover wheels in great shape. I want them black, flat black if possible. Now, I know powder coating is the best option for longevity and off-road performance, but from my research it seems to be the most expensive. I have checked out a couple locations in the North Carolina and Virginia area and have been quoted at around $125-150 per wheel for the complete service. This seems quite pricey, especially considering what the wheels cost me and the fact that they more than likely won't see any situations that demand ultimate durability.

So, my other option would be painting. Is this a bad idea? Would it be significantly cheaper and is it something I could do myself? The wheels are the basic 5-spoke 16x8 that came standard on the Discovery II, so no intricate cut-outs or recessed areas.

Eventual application will be for a set of 'for-fun' off-roading wheels and winter performance. I plan on light trails so no crazy rocks and such.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
I'm not sure about the links above as I didn't look. However, from experience, powder coating is the killer way to go... as long as nothing gets scratched. It looks great, is very durable and will last a very long time... as long as it never gets scratched. It will most likely last longer than you ever hope to have the truck. The issue is that once scratched it is as useless as a painted finish is. The metal exposed will corrode and the rust or flaking will spread. To return to a finish before the scratch you are out another rather expensive chunk of money. With a painted finish you can sand a scratch and repaint the area with little or no difference in finish. You can also do so without lending an arm or first bourne for the labour.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that looks pretty darn good! Hmm, definitely worth considering. Since I have the rims off the tires, it may be even easier in my case.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Aren't aluminum wheels solid aluminum? Or are these 16's steel? I mean, for the price $23 total i think he said on that link its hard to go wrong especially with wheel specific paint.

Edit: I now understand what you mean after a reread - yea powder coating can chip but it is the best way to go thus the price :thumb:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Same research for me.
Did you know that powder coating weaken wheels? /:(
Should i go hammerite black mat?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
I just paint the wheels on my wheeling rig. Self etching primer and flat black Rustoleum. I beat the snot out of them and they hold up just fine. Just be sure to use the self etching primer.
Powder coating them would be the best way for long term I guess, but the only thing I found to touch it up was black nail varnish, and then it can look a little spotty....(I had a few of my old race bike frames powder coated in the days of steel m/c frames)

Martin

·
Registered
896 Posts
Don't spend the money on powdercoating for 'fun' or winter wheels. Besides, if the paint looks bad, it will be stripped before they powdercoated anyway. Try painting.

Remember, its all in the prep work. The more time you spend on prepping the wheels, cleaning, sanding, etc. the better the end result. The spraying is the easy and quick part. Getting the wheels ready for painting will take much longer.

Take pics for us to see the end result. I have thought about picking up a set myself for dedicated off-road tires.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Another project I haven't had time for yet. haha thanks for the reminder guys. `)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts