RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have including myself 4 1st gen L322s in my circle of friends and like clock work the within two years the Radiator lower lines block up leading all sorts of trans overheating and cooking issues. While the top engine coolant Parts works perfectly well. So why not just bypass the blocked part of the radiator.

My question and theory which I want to run by the group, is the oil cooler needs cool coolant to cools. It really doesn't care where that comes from right. Also raves states and shows in diagram the along with the radiator the trans cooler also rm"receives coolant from the water pump as required" coming from the radiator big bottom hose. What is the requirement is not stated.

Now if we block off/clamp the little house at the bottom coming from the radiator to the trans thermostat, then it should start taking in cool coolant from the water pump side, would this be correct, hence bypassing the blocked lower radiator.

OR splice into the gazillion other cool coolant side pipes with a T joint or something and the hose the comes from the clogged side of the radiator into that. Theoretically this would complete the coolant flow circuit, hence getting rid/bypassng the lower part of clogged radiator.

What are the group thoughts on this? Would it work.

Also having looked at the trans cooler thermostat. I just can't understand how it works. Does anyone have a detailed diagram as how it works. I have a used one lying outside and for the life of me can't seem to figure the coolant flow circuit on how its suppose to work.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
While it may be feasible, it'd be best to replace the rad. I've found one for US$130 and it's not very difficult to replace, just messy :)

I had no radiator issues with replacing the coolant every 2 years with BMW blue, and everything always worked smoothly. Only time my transmission shuddered was when cold, and a fluid filter service took care of that.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like I said the new rads don't last more than two years, all the 4 cars mentioned above have had new rads in the last two year and now all blocked or almost fully blocked again. Hence the leaning towards a "permanent" fix and mind you its gets hot like a mofo here in the summers close to 50C and our winters are like the summer in UK. Add to that huge traffic jams lasting up to two hours and also that probably the rads are partially blocked way before they totally give up so still heating up the oil beyond normal but just not high enough to throw a fit. So permanent solution would go a long way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts