RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post Shop Visit Review: 82K Maintenance; Noise Mystery Shocker Solved

After driving the beast in question, it was time to take it into the shop for the 82k mile service. Prior to the visit I had experienced several issues such as:

• The wobbly steering wheel
• Whinning/Whirring during acceleration
• Minor electrical: start up delay of the nav screen while unlocking vehicle

--DISCOVERY:

Found out that the real differential was the culprit for the acceleration noise, the rear was producing no sound. After my stomach dropped, I was given an estimate for about $2000+ plus for P&L 8-0= (after calling LR Austin I was about $1900+tax) given the situation, I am considering to get the extended warranty. The noise still persists but I went ahead and changed out the differential fluids as well. It should last me for the time being, but until then, can anyone recommend a good extended warranty plan? I was told "Easy Care" but want to get other opinions before making the decision. I'll have some piece of mind, but what do you guys think?

Shop of Work: Land Rovers Unlimited- TX
Total Cost of visit: $307
Service:
82K M
Differential Fluid replaced

Oil change went smoothly, but discovered there needed a replacement one on of the valve covers, shop estimate: $350 P&L

Upon further inspection, it looks like my lower ball joint (passenger side) has been torn and needs replacement.
Shop estimate: $150? (P&L)

Looks like Parts Geek has it so I might just buy it myself and have it put on:
Ball Joint
Can someone confirm if this is the correct part?

Picture below:
IMG_5835.jpg

Differential Fluids:
Front and rear were replaced and both came out looking like dark brown mocha! YUCK. I did this for some preventative maintenance and glad I made the choice.
IMG_3986.jpg
plug:
IMG_1721.jpg

Overall the visit was very informative! I had a feeling it was going to be the diffs going out, but never guessed it would have been the rear. The wobbling is probably going be the tires as I have Goodyears on both front, and all bearings are looking good. In all I will be replacing the parts with the exception of the diffs, unless I get a service contract going. Given that, I'd love everyones feedback from this visit!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts