Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post if you have 100k miles or more in your Mk III and the issues you had?

Post if you have 100k miles or more in your Mk III and the issues you had? like title says, I am looking at mk III that have these miles to see how it stands up? currently have my 2011 RRS which I bought new and have very low miles but currently own a honda pilot and escalade hybrid(all purchased new) as well that withstood the test of time and mileage.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Post if you have 100k miles or more in your Mk III and the issues you had?

reason for thread? planning to buy a new 2012 mark III.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
7 Posts

Have had a 2004 TD6 in our shop with 320.000 K.M. on it. Drove like a charm but interior was worn. It had a transmission rebuild (ZF 5HP24) at 198.000 k.m. and a turbo replaced at 210.000 k.m. Only thing I could find was that the steering wheel was loose (steering position adjustments were worn out) and there was a bit of play in all of the ball joints and a creaking sound from the rear bushings. (Don't really know the good english words for that so forgive me.) My friends RR is a 2003 TD6 with almost 270.000 k.m. on it. Still drives like new, but also had a tranny rebuild at 170.000 k.m. (also the ZF 5HP24) and the turbo replaced at 220.000 k.m. because no-one had ever replaced the filter inside the rocker cover (don't know if I'm using the right words for it, but...). Further more I've replaced some of the wheel links too and there's actually a lot of rust on the boot and on the rear wheel arches.

But seen the fact that both cars are used A LOT, I think of them as very low maintenance. Not much problems that are costly!

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
560 Posts

It is going to be difficult to rely on data from owners with various years and power-trains from different companies that have owned LR. The main things you will have to worry about with a 2012 and 100K is going to be excessive amount of brake pads/rotor changes, air suspension issues and replacement of bags/struts, as well as various electrical issues. I doubt the issues seen with the BMW years, though awesome vehicles, will likely not be an issue on the 2012 model. Those are major radiator, transmission, and engine problems but you can count on the RR always having expensive and inconvenient issues alone the way.

If you plan to keep one for 100K+ it is best to get a certified 2012 that has the 100K warranty already. If you purchase new make sure you add the extended warranty, if you plan to keep it before it hits 48,000 miles, or set aside an extra savings account.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It is going to be difficult to rely on data from owners with various years and power-trains from different companies that have owned LR. The main things you will have to worry about with a 2012 and 100K is going to be excessive amount of brake pads/rotor changes, air suspension issues and replacement of bags/struts, as well as various electrical issues. I doubt the issues seen with the BMW years, though awesome vehicles, will likely not be an issue on the 2012 model. Those are major radiator, transmission, and engine problems but you can count the RR always having expensive and inconvenient issues alone the way.

If you plan to keep one for 100K+ it is best to get a certified 2012 that has the 100K warranty already. If you purchase new make sure you add the extended warranty, if you plan to keep it before it hits 48,000 miles, or set aside an extra savings account.
I'm debating whether to get one of the remaining "new" 2012 RR S/C or just order a 2013 RR hse. the local dealership here has 84 months/100k mile powertrain warranty included.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
560 Posts

The is a tuff choice, I went with the 2011 last year, because I didn't care for the look of the 2013. If I was making the decision now, I would go with the 2013 HSE as it will be almost as quick as the 2012 SC, but there could be a lot of unknown problems with the new model. I still think the MKIII will always be a classic, but the 2013 is a great looking vehicle. Even with warranty it always comes down to, will you be bothered by always taking it in for fixes?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts