RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm driving a 2006 range rover hse. I am experiencing a pronounced clunking/thudding on normal to heavy acceleration. My closest guess would be a worn/stretched transfer case chain. Is this a common issue with this year of rover? Are there other key components within the transfer case that should be changed in addition to the chain if it is indeed a stretched chain? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
How many miles? Mine has begun to exhibit a thud from the rear of the car on hard braking acceleration from a stop, it's my upper rear hub bushing on the passenger side, it has developed some axial play and slides on the camber alignment bolt. Under braking the bushing slides forward, and on acceleration from a stop (don't hear it at any other time) it slides backwards and makes a thud. Almost like a brake caliper was loose. We're talking about 1/16" play and its enough to be noticeable. My 06 has 175K on it, and the passenger side bushing has never been replaced (yet, it is on the list of things to do as soon as it quits snowing or raining here in MA). Jack your rear wheels off the ground and see if you can slide the bushings forward or backward on the bolt. They should obviously not move, and you can't tighten the bolts beyond the specs called for without collapsing the upper control arm.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,280 Posts
Another possibility may be wear in the transmission output shaft splines due to fretting corrosion, from not having been lubricated correctly

Phil

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have wear in transmission shaft and transfer case shaft to the point I need a new tranny and transfer case as all the splines we're worn down it stopped driving. Question is...That area where the case & tranny come together that cannot be greased once put together there's no access hole or anything. What if anything can I do now that I'm replacing both to lubricate that area and prevent this rust build up and consequently worn splines?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts