RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from Nottinghamshire, UK.

I am now in possession of my 2000 P38 with THOR 4.6ltr engine.

INCREDIBLE noise emanating from the Air-con compressor, accompanied by grease from deceased pulley bearing. I have ordered a complete 2nd-hand Air-con compressor, but am hoping to salvage the pulley and bearing etc., from the replacement compressor assembly WITHOUT the need to purge the refrigerant on the original unit.

The replacement part won't arrive until Monday, so...IS THIS POSSIBLE, or do I have to replace the whole assembly, purging the refrigerant and then re-gas afterwards?

Looking forward to your sound advice and any other words of wisdom you deem appropriate!

Kind regards,

Mike

Not far from Sherwood Forest
Nottinghamshire
United Kingdom

2000 Range Rover P38, 4.6 Thor "lump"

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
A man in Birmingham put it together so a man in Nottinghamshire should be able to take it apart.......

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A man in Birmingham put it together so a man in Nottinghamshire should be able to take it apart.......
Haha...I like your logic, Gilbertd!

HOWEVER...I am not the most gifted when it comes to wielding the old spanners...but I DO love a challenge!!

Compressor arrives on Monday/Tuesday and am currently awaiting the return of my tools which are languishing in the back of my Iveco Daily Hi-roof, LWB van that I managed to write-off Christmas week after a coming-together with a Telegraph pole!!

Still hoping to hear from someone who's faced this one before...

·
Registered
52 Posts
make sure its just the pulley bearing and not the compressor itself. mine seized recently (compressor) and burnt out the clutch and bearing - then same symptoms as yours. i removed the pulley and replaced the bearing and left the seized compressor in situ - i dont need AC in aberdeen and after the compressor had seized i would probably have to replace other contaminated parts anyway and regas. i disconnected the wiring to the compressor, so now its just a oversized idler pulley...

so if yours is just the bearing, then yes you can remove the pulley easily and swap over - or just buy a new bearing and fit into your current pulley.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Logrover.

Many thanks for your helpful advice.

I did find a suitable replacement bearing, but figured that shelling-out less than £40 for a known-t-work complete assembly was a better bet....just in case the scenario developed as per your reply.

As the car is a 2000 model, if I end up re-gassing as well, I should have a very chilled air-con set-up...especially as I don't reside as far "up North" as you (he says very enviously). I LOVE Scotland...especially the West coast and consider myself to be a "born-again Scot"...no offence intended!!!

Thanks again for your valued comments.

make sure its just the pulley bearing and not the compressor itself. mine seized recently (compressor) and burnt out the clutch and bearing - then same symptoms as yours. i removed the pulley and replaced the bearing and left the seized compressor in situ - i dont need AC in aberdeen and after the compressor had seized i would probably have to replace other contaminated parts anyway and regas. i disconnected the wiring to the compressor, so now its just a oversized idler pulley...

so if yours is just the bearing, then yes you can remove the pulley easily and swap over - or just buy a new bearing and fit into your current pulley.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
If you do need to replace the whole compressor, then make sure you replace the O rings... I had a faulty compressor on mine - swapped it for a second hand unit, but didn't replace the O-rings on the pipes. All sealed up and worked fine for a couple of weeks until I was looking under the bonnet for something else and saw leak detector dye dribbling down the side of the compressor!

Replaced the O-rings now and that's all sealed up - though I'm not convinced I don't have a slow leak from somewhere still though!

If you need O-rings, then I bought a various sizes kit off e-Bay for less than the cost of 2 genuine ones from Land Rover... and I couldn't find the part numbers either for a Thor - they are about as 'suction' and 'pressure' lines for GEMS, but not listed in parts catalogue for Thor either... I probably have some spare from when I did mine, so if you do need O-rings, drop me a PM and I'll send a selection to you.

Marty

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you do need to replace the whole compressor, then make sure you replace the O rings... I had a faulty compressor on mine - swapped it for a second hand unit, but didn't replace the O-rings on the pipes. All sealed up and worked fine for a couple of weeks until I was looking under the bonnet for something else and saw leak detector dye dribbling down the side of the compressor!

Replaced the O-rings now and that's all sealed up - though I'm not convinced I don't have a slow leak from somewhere still though!

If you need O-rings, then I bought a various sizes kit off e-Bay for less than the cost of 2 genuine ones from Land Rover... and I couldn't find the part numbers either for a Thor - they are about as 'suction' and 'pressure' lines for GEMS, but not listed in parts catalogue for Thor either... I probably have some spare from when I did mine, so if you do need O-rings, drop me a PM and I'll send a selection to you.

Marty
Thanks for your comments Marty.

Is it necessary to lubricate the o-rings (if so, what would you recommend using), or just insert dry...very carefully?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
No problem...

I should have answered your question in the PM as I was writing it.... but since I've just seen this...

The workshop manual mentions to lubricate the new O-rings with refrigerant oil. You will probably have some left in the old compressor when it comes out, so a little dab of that on the end of your finger should be all it needs to lubricate the new ones for re-fitting.

Marty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts