RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! While chasing clicking sound behind the central dashboard I decided to check the heater flap actuator and figured out that I can't turn it manually (as shown on image #2).

It rotates well with motor disassembled (image #3), the motor itself rotates well, but when assembled it just impossible to turn it.

So my question is: should I be able to manually turn it in assembled condition or not?

Here's the clicking I'm chasing: Youtube link.

P.s.: no, heater flap actuator does not produce this clicking as it appeared again when I had the part removed :(

·
Registered
200 Posts
No idea if you should be able to turn this by hand outside of the motor (don't see why not), but this is probably your clicking noise source:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, @dlimanov! Yup, that's exactly the part I'm holding in my hands on the photo; unfortunately in my case it's not the one which generates the clicking since when I removed it to disassemble & clean some 15 minutes passed, I then returned to the car, opened the door and heard that noise again, while holding the actuator in my hands...

·
Registered
920 Posts
Theres 6 of those actuators in the center dash area anyone of them can make the clicking noise when they start stripping the gears, and there are about 4 different part numbers for them. Mine was the one right next to and under the cigarette lighter (power port) on the passenger side of the console. I think it had the same part number as the one your holding. It was the one that fed air to the rear console vent panel.

·
Registered
920 Posts
They all run thru some kind of initialization sequence everytime the truck is woken up (doors unlocked, or opened) so the controller knows what position each damper is in. Yes, mine is LHD. Theres two on the right side side of the console the furthest back on the right side controls the air to the rear seats, and another further up under the dash, these are right up against the firewall, down near the floor and face down towards the floor, these are the fresh air, or recirc door controllers, and theres one on the right side just above the hot water tubes that does the same thing on the driver side. Then theres two on top of the HVAC box (the big thing under the dash and front of the console) that control air to the dash vents and defroster (left side) and the amount of heat or AC that get into the truck (right side). Those last 2 are a pain to get at, as they are in the middle of the box, and face in towards the center of the box, the others are just moderately difficult to get at. The one to the rear seats is the easiest as you can see it just by pulling the front panel off the side of the console (theres a torx screw way up near the firewall but other than that it just pops off), the one for controlling floor or dash vents on the opposite side is a little higher up on the box and isn't as easy to see.

This is the right side, the rear motor is right above and right of that silver rectangular box, that green cable is the thing that attaches to the center dash dial for contrlling hot or cold air out of the center vents, the vent/recirc air actualtor is right under that blue clip closest to the floor (right side of the picture)

This is the left side of the box, the vent/recirc actuator is right under that green clip just above the heater pipes, and you can see one of the two actuators on top of the box just in front of the green cable on the right side of the picture, the other one is a mirror image of that one.

This is the top of the box, you can see both of the damper actuators on the top of the box. Probably have to pull the HVAC controller and clock/heated seat module out of the dash to get to these.

·
Registered
920 Posts
No they are not interchangeable, thats why you have to figure out which one is bad before trying to find a replacement. They all have number that end in 14, 15, 16, and maybe 18 and 19. I have a full set of them laying around here somewhere, except for the one I replaced. The one ending in 15, for the rear air damper.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMG, thank you (again, and again, and again) for such a detailed reply. This is priceless info for forum members as the cars get aged & those actuators will cause problems.
Can't wait for weekend now to get my hands in :) Also it is a great idea to take a picture of everything we pull out / deal with, bet you have a solid collection

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have some, but for the most part you can find pictures on Ebay or just a google search it you know the right numbers or keywords. I still have to do something with the ones for installing the side steps on my 06, but I'm going to wait until I can make them work 100%. Right now they ignore the doors being opened so they only extend and retract on lock and unlock, and auto retract after 60 seconds, or if the truck is put in gear.

This is the image I was trying to find last night, but it turns out its on my work PC not my home one. Items 10, 11, 13, 18 are the visible stepper motors, and the hidden one is opposite 18 on the other side of the box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts