RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I recently changed out the heater core and tested it out and it is working correctly now. By correctly now I mean both the in and out lines are hot so I know I have flow through and the old one definitely had some crap in it clogging it up. Before changing it out I had no heat but now I do, but only on the passenger side. I got to thinking that maybe the blend door motor on the driver side might have been bad. I cannot get to it unless I take more of the drivers side dash apart but with a flash light I can see the motor/actuator arm rotate. so, I am thinking (hoping) that plastic arm is stripped out?? As I think to get to the blend doors the entire dash has to come off?

Anyway, I am going to send a camera down in the vent to see if I can see what might be going on.

Has anyone had this issue and what did you have to do to fix it?

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How could it still be the heater core though, it is brand new!! Also, it is a complete flow through heater core, it does not have wo sides to it...

·
Registered
547 Posts
You seem to have narrowed the issue down to the correct area and as you intend, I would be checking that the actual door is moving as it should. You said you can see the lever moving so I would have thought you would have been able to see the door attached as well - I guess not - a camera should tell you if it moves.

While I have not had this issue in my RRS I did have a similar issue with my 90s D1 where the door/flap had come away from the lever so the lever moved but the flap did not.

So I would do what you intend - look at the easy bits first - then if no luck look further - this includes the heater core - if there was enough crud to block the old one - you never know crud in pipes could block the new one - unlikely but check.

Garry

·
Registered
783 Posts
How could it still be the heater core though, it is brand new!! Also, it is a complete flow through heater core, it does not have wo sides to it...
It is not the core that has two sides. The far end of the core seems to be the part that plugs first. The plenum it sits in has a divider in the centre. If the core is new than it very well could be a blend door.
Probably why the complaint seems less from the folks who drive on the wrong side of the road. <G>

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so I sent my little bore scope camera in and the blend doors are working. I also got warm to hot air from the drivers side today. So, I believe the system needs flushed... Has anyone done the flush themselves?

·
Registered
547 Posts
When you previously did the heater core - surely it was flushed then - or the cooling system just topped up?

You may have an airlock or crude from the pipes may have blocked the heater - so yes you need to do a flush - there are bleed screws in the system but I have never done it on these vehicles so I cannot help - it will be in the workshop manual (used to and maybe still is available on this site).

Goodluck

Garry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts