RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a lurker here for a little while, but this is my first post...
I am a RRC newby, I have a 4 month old(to me) 1994 RRC SWB with 136k miles. It is a coil conversion with 32's. Other than that is pretty much stock.

Now the fun part...
I have found locally a 1996 4.6 with transfer case and transmission all together for sale. It has all accessories, and ECU with wiring harness.
From what I have been told it ran "great" (grain of salt taken) and has 110k miles on it. The asking price is $1150 US.

Some additional considerations are:
-I think my current headgasket is a goner, I am having coolant loss and pressure build up in the coolant system when driving in hilly terrain.
-I think my Borg Werner is siezed/on its way there, inside wheel wanting to "hop" during sharp turning on dry pavement.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

I was thinking that the conversion would not be too difficult with all the engine ancillaries included, meaning that I don't have to worry about serp belt vs v belt front cover issues, etc... let me know if I am way off here.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
138 Posts
I wouldn't touch a second hand 4.6 as far as I could throw one. They are notorious for slipped liners etc.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I like to hear a motor running before I buy it, its a lot of work to find out if it runs. The tire skipping is most likely a viscous coupler siezed up, used ones can be had for $300- $400. Also, head gasket replacement is not that hard a job, 2 days taking your time, $300 in parts including fluid change.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Ed101.

From what you've described and the lure of updating your Classic with additional performance, any option of the 4.6ltr V8 block is best used as a boat anchor.

Consider if you really want to keep your Rangie and best upgrade the entire drive-train with http://www.southernperformancesystems.c ... viper.html ?

Go to www.marks4wd.com to view all possible transmission or engine transplant options & as long as you can get your hands on an earlier LT230 transfer case, this scenario I've offered should fit as recently illustrated on Ebay Stateside and will meet all your reliability and performance expectations to blow away RRS's !

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts