Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does the inside of a PCV valve for a 4.4L Jag engine look like, or supposed to look like?

I bought a new one and installed it last night (because i have a P2096 post cat Bank 1 lean code - which I actually think is really coming from bank 2, and I have 187K miles on the engine) and on my drive in this morning as I decelerated down an off ramp I turned into a 4WD Crop Duster blowing out a ton of blueish white smoke. Happened everytime I accelerated after coasting down to a stop, may have been happening to a lesser extent just driving but I couldn't see it. Even had a cop follow me for a time, but somehow I managed not to smoke him out, till just after he turned off and went somewhere else.

The vacuum line from the PCV valve to the throttle body is coated in oil on the inside as if there are no internals in the housing at all, or if there is its stuck wide open. I lost a quart of oil in 25 miles, and had all 4 cylinders on Bank 2 misfiring. Right now (at work) I could hear a monster vacuum leak sound at the valve in idle, and my short term fuel trims are up around 14 on bank 2, and 11 on bank 1 so I have a huge vacuum leak at this valve. I put a couple of sections of electrical tape over the opening on the valve to hose connection, poked a tiny hole in so it would at least partially work till I get home and reconnected it back together Hopefully that will get me home without loosing anymore oil. I reset all the codes (misfires on 2,4,6,8, and an ECT coolant temperature fault (probably because 4 cylinders were not firing correctly) I blew thru the new valve last night before it went on (by mouth not with a compressor) and there didn't appear to be a restriction in either direction, but then again there was none in the old one when it came off either.

For sure the old one is going back on when I get home, and I guess I'll cut this new one open to see what the insides look like. Will photograph them.

·
Registered
L322 - 2005, 2006 na, 2012 sc
316 Posts
Mark, did you ever cut that PCV open? I just replaced a PCV valve on a 4.4 AJ V8 as proactive maintenance and got a similar result. It was a bapmic. It took me some time to find your post. When I first started it up I could hear what sounded like a huge vacuum leak and the engine RPMs were hunting. I also did a lot of other things proactively at the same time as the PCV while I was doing a water pump including the purge valve and cleaned the throttle body so I didn't know which was playing up. I sprayed carb cleaner around the intake, purge valve and throttle body to see if I forgot to connect something or the seal between the throttle body and intake was bad - No change in RPM. I drove it for 5 miles and all of a sudden I got a 'reduced engine performance', knocking and cloud of smoke behind me... I stepped on it a few times to confirm... I also had to guess on how much oil to add because I changed the auxiliry oil cooler seal to the block (the little figure 8 o-ring that likes to leak) so I didn't know if it was because I over filled the crankcase resulting in bathing the cylinders which would also cause those symptoms but since verified after letting it cool down that my estimate of 1 qt lost was correct and the oil level is spot on with the top dot on the dipstick. Based on your post, it's looking like I just need to put back on my old PCV. Just trying to figure out how a company could produce such a simple part like a PCV and fail so miserably. This really seemed like one of those things that you could get away with an aftermarket part.

·
Registered
697 Posts
What does the inside of a PCV valve for a 4.4L Jag engine look like, or supposed to look like?

I bought a new one and installed it last night (because i have a P2096 post cat Bank 1 lean code - which I actually think is really coming from bank 2, and I have 187K miles on the engine) and on my drive in this morning as I decelerated down an off ramp I turned into a 4WD Crop Duster blowing out a ton of blueish white smoke. Happened everytime I accelerated after coasting down to a stop, may have been happening to a lesser extent just driving but I couldn't see it. Even had a cop follow me for a time, but somehow I managed not to smoke him out, till just after he turned off and went somewhere else.

The vacuum line from the PCV valve to the throttle body is coated in oil on the inside as if there are no internals in the housing at all, or if there is its stuck wide open. I lost a quart of oil in 25 miles, and had all 4 cylinders on Bank 2 misfiring. Right now (at work) I could hear a monster vacuum leak sound at the valve in idle, and my short term fuel trims are up around 14 on bank 2, and 11 on bank 1 so I have a huge vacuum leak at this valve. I put a couple of sections of electrical tape over the opening on the valve to hose connection, poked a tiny hole in so it would at least partially work till I get home and reconnected it back together Hopefully that will get me home without loosing anymore oil. I reset all the codes (misfires on 2,4,6,8, and an ECT coolant temperature fault (probably because 4 cylinders were not firing correctly) I blew thru the new valve last night before it went on (by mouth not with a compressor) and there didn't appear to be a restriction in either direction, but then again there was none in the old one when it came off either.

For sure the old one is going back on when I get home, and I guess I'll cut this new one open to see what the insides look like. Will photograph them.
Nothing special

If pcv is gone completely you get reduced engine performance on first starts and blue puff from exhaust
Check your oil level
If pcv hose is gone you mostly get lean codes

·
Registered
L322 - 2005, 2006 na, 2012 sc
316 Posts
Thank you for posting - Is that handy work a dremel all the way around?

Oil level is spot on. Replaced the PCV with the old one and it runs perfect now. RPMs hold steady, throttle response is good.

Guessing there is a spring on the other side of that diaphragm. Likely the problem with the new defective one is a weak spring or a spring that is too strong? Or maybe a hole in the diaphragm... I've asked for a refund but if I don't get it, I will dremel the thing open for an analysis or if you'd rather, I can send it to you for a side-by-side comparison.

Wonder if it would be easy to clean these things, or the better question is how do they go bad? Hole, I can see having to discard it. Gummed up, maybe rinse it out with gumout?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Thank you for posting - Is that handy work a dremel all the way around?

Oil level is spot on. Replaced the PCV with the old one and it runs perfect now. RPMs hold steady, throttle response is good.

Guessing there is a spring on the other side of that diaphragm. Likely the problem with the new defective one is a weak spring or a spring that is too strong? Or maybe a hole in the diaphragm... I've asked for a refund but if I don't get it, I will dremel the thing open for an analysis or if you'd rather, I can send it to you for a side-by-side comparison.

Wonder if it would be easy to clean these things, or the better question is how do they go bad? Hole, I can see having to discard it. Gummed up, maybe rinse it out with gumout?
I am just replacing this valve in every 2-3 years. second time was very scary. Engine acts like it has a piston rings problem. Blue puff, little bit rough on high rpms with smoke.
Very simple system like old vw or audi. My friend replaced valve cover also, oil separators are build in valve covers. I didn’t replace but gave them a good shower with carb cleaner.

I am waiting for a good after market part for this valve. Its a common issue on jag engines.

·
Registered
697 Posts

Mark i am little bit confused. 2468 are passenger side but pcv valve is on bank1. We have little bit different engines you have 4.4 maybe your pcv is on bank 2 or second option you have a big hole on bank2 oil breather hose.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The PCV is on the passenger side head (in LHD trucks) and that is Bank 1 on the 4.4L Jaguar engine. The oil breather hose connects back to the air intake tube, between the silencers (those weird shaped cube and triangle shape boxes just after the MAF sensor, and the throttle body. I could never find a leak in any of my vacuum hoses or intake tubes after the MAF, couldn't find a crack in the exhaust pipes or the cats and I smoked every part I could get to. The PCV valve replacement may or may not have helped with the lean condition, after I got a good one. The first replacement must have had a hole in the diaphragm that just let me suck oil straight out of the valve cover under high vacuum conditions. I changed the plugs, and coils and ran a couple of cans of BG44 fuel cleaner thru it, as well as one of their other products (can't remember the number now, but it was probably an upper cylinder lubricant. I was going to replace the injectors but the problem went away after about 3 weeks and hasn't come back since, so the new set is just sitting in a box in the garage somewhere.

·
Registered
697 Posts
The PCV is on the passenger side head (in LHD trucks) and that is Bank 1 on the 4.4L Jaguar engine. The oil breather hose connects back to the air intake tube, between the silencers (those weird shaped cube and triangle shape boxes just after the MAF sensor, and the throttle body. I could never find a leak in any of my vacuum hoses or intake tubes after the MAF, couldn't find a crack in the exhaust pipes or the cats and I smoked every part I could get to. The PCV valve replacement may or may not have helped with the lean condition, after I got a good one. The first replacement must have had a hole in the diaphragm that just let me suck oil straight out of the valve cover under high vacuum conditions. I changed the plugs, and coils and ran a couple of cans of BG44 fuel cleaner thru it, as well as one of their other products (can't remember the number now, but it was probably an upper cylinder lubricant. I was going to replace the injectors but the problem went away after about 3 weeks and hasn't come back since, so the new set is just sitting in a box in the garage somewhere.
Did you check egr for leaks. Common issue on 4.4 engine. Some gaskets on egr are very famous with little leaks

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is no EGR on the Jag engines, at least as far as I know. Regardless the lean issue has somehow resolved itself (knock on wood).

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I do, just went out and looked and there it was (item2).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts