Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to hear from those that have driven both about how they compare. General, overall impressions. On-road, off-road, comfort, etc.

I can't find a local dealer without an already sold RRS, so leaning on y'all for now :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Which specific Cayenne model vs RRS? Turbo makes huge difference as does V8 for RRS.

Generally the Cayenne is smaller inside. The handling is better in Cayenne. No doubt the off road capabilities better with RRS, but Cayenne is no slouch. The turbo is noticeably quicker than the V8 RRS (at least to me). The turbo cayenne is just a rocket. I drove a 2013 when shopping. Cayenne was too small inside for me. Too many buttons too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which specific Cayenne model vs RRS? Turbo makes huge difference as does V8 for RRS.

Generally the Cayenne is smaller inside. The handling is better in Cayenne. No doubt the off road capabilities better with RRS, but Cayenne is no slouch. The turbo is noticeably quicker than the V8 RRS (at least to me). The turbo cayenne is just a rocket. I drove a 2013 when shopping. Cayenne was too small inside for me. Too many buttons too.
It would be a base Cayenne vs. base RRS. Thanks for sharing-- those are the things I was looking for. I've been in sports cars/sedans for years, and looking for a change. More space inside sounds nice, and seems like the RRS offers that.

I don't think I'm going to be crazy when it comes to off-roading, but good to know that the Cayenne is at least competent. I like the fact that they both have air suspension (standard with RRS, I think?).
How did the interior build quality compare?

Hoping to get to test drive a RRS soon. Thanks!

·
Registered
346 Posts
The interiors are vastly different. In terms of quality the same. I might give an edge to the Porsche in terms of the quality of buttons etc. I personally find the RRS interior more attractive and less cluttered. I like the nav/computer system better in the Porsche. The RRS system is a bit slow to respond. The Porsche interior seems so cluttered with buttons. You will see what I mean...

I will say as a Porsche owner (911 turbo) that electronics is not their best competency. Across a few Porsches its been quirky at times and they keep adding more gizmos. Surprising its all related to audi who has by far the best interiors IMO. Maybe check out a Q7 if your cross shopping. If I wasn't going for a RRS V8 I would consider the Q7 3.0T. Great car for comparable money or less. Handles well and nicely appointed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
RRS suspension is more comfortable to ride, especially on cars without active stabilizers. RRS cabin is also significantly more quiet.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
The RRS won't get confused for a Toureg.

·
Registered
756 Posts
The current 2011+ Cayennes have been very reliable with only a few issues. The new RRS reliability is still unknown.

The Cayenne can be obscenely expensive and IMO the exterior colors are boring. The AWD on the Cayenne is Audi's Quattro so is very solid.

You will need to upgrade the std Cayenne seats from the 8-way if you want lumbar adjustments. Both cars will hold value very well.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have a '10 Q7 TDI, '11 Cayenne S, and waiting for my '14 RRS V8SC.

The short time I had in the RRS V8SC test drive, I find (feel like) it's faster. The exhaust definitely sounded louder on the RRS. Since I didn't have much time with it, can't do an in-depth comparison.

The interiors, I think the RRS wins over the Cayenne. Others are right, way too buys in the Porsche, too many buttons, and I hate the fact on the 11s the door un-lock button in on the center console all the way in the upper right corner. Anybody other than the owner will be searching for minutes to unlock the door. They changed it in the 12 and put it back on the doors (where it's suppose to be). I love the steering wheel in my Cayenne. I love the clutter-less design of the RRS console (I guess coming from a Cayenne, it's a little extreme).

Personally, I do love the Cayenne S for it's handling, but the brief minutes I had on the RRS V8SC, feels like the RRS is on-par if not better handling than my Cayenne, but probably because I'm used to the older Cayenne, and the RRS is brand new? Maybe it's in my head.

However, my family prefers the Q7 to the Cayenne, and love the RRS over the Q7. So maybe in their heads, the RRS is the better car/truck.

Originally planning on replacing the Q7 with the RRS, but decided we might need 3rd row seating, didn't order 3rd row seating on RRS because I need it delivered this year for tax reasons.

RRS > Q7 > Cayenne (family choice)
RRS > Cayenne > Q7 (my choice) only because I like the interior of the RRS better, originally love all the buttons but they lost their appeal over the years.

Was also contemplating a 14 GTS vs RRS V8SC, but ultimately wanted something different and the fact that JLR keeps their design pretty much for 8-10 years, I figure I'm good for a while on the design language.

-ThinkMac-

·
Registered
171 Posts
The best reason to choose the Range Rover Sport over the Cayenne is because it isn't ugly.

The Cayenne is a chick's car with absolutely no curb appeal.

I own a 911 and am a lifelong Porsche fanatic, so I can be frank.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
3 Posts
Hi Drew,

I recently returned from the all new Range Rover Sport training sport training in Washington State and we compared the all new sport against a Mercedes ML350, BMW X5, Audi q7 and also a Porsche Cayenne Turbo. The Porsche was probably the most comparable in handling and also initial responsiveness with acceleration and handling. A well build SUv, however I personally felt the bond grain leather was a little hard and also the cabin space was littered with buttons, everywhere! If you like buttons then you will love the Porsche. The overall fit and finish was also alright too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The best reason to choose the Range Rover Sport over the Cayenne is because it isn't ugly.

The Cayenne is a chick's car with absolutely no curb appeal.

I own a 911 and am a lifelong Porsche fanatic, so I can be frank.

HAHAHA. Yeah, The Cayenne and Panamera.....ass ends only a mother could love........

·
Banned
144 Posts
The Cayenne is a chick's car with absolutely no curb appeal. .
this.

as good as the Cayenne may be, i can't point to a more feminine looking vehicle on the market today. all curves, circles, and bubbles. it's the Jennifer Lopez of SUV's. Hot, but not for me.

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
The front and the back are far too similar. I mean, look at the head/tail lights. The front grille. The tailgate. It's all a cheap knockoff on Ford's part.

Knock off on land rover's part .... I am sure explorer was launched way before.... but somewhere I read it was the same guy who designed both vehicles.. Again if this the same guy why does he want two cars looks same .. bummer!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yeah, Ford has been raiding the RR design dept's trash bins for years. The last gen Explorer had the RR headlights (cheaper version) and square look. Check out the current gen Fusion, it's got some Aston Martin design rejects in it. Also, the renderings I've seen of the new Mustang indicates Aston Martin stolen design cues as well.

It's what happens when car companies are owned by others. They will steal designs, parts, etc...

-ThinkMac-

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The front and the back are far too similar. I mean, look at the head/tail lights. The front grille. The tailgate. It's all a cheap knockoff on Ford's part.
you do know that the same guy designed both cars right? I wouldn't call that a knockoff.

·
Registered
114 Posts
you do know that the same guy designed both cars right? I wouldn't call that a knockoff.
Oh yeah, fully aware. Ford had LR and it all came together then. Now it's Tata. Just was amazed how someone could think they don't look similar. And Ford uses cheaper parts. And I have a RRS, so in my eyes it is a knockoff!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts