RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I’ve been trying to diagnose an issue with my RRS for a while, have replaced a few things in the suspension and wanted to pass it to you all before replacing the next potential culprits.

I figure that it can only be the upper/lower ball joints or upper control arm bushings.

Symptom: popping/clicking sound when front end when raising/lowering car or when suspension is articulating off road. Vibration from the clicking sound can be felt by grabbing the upper control arm when lowering/raising.

Replaced: Have already replaced LCA bushings and sway bar links.

Suspension condition: ball joints are un-torm and UCA bushings show minimal movement when using a pry bar to check the play, although there is signs that the UCA bushings may rub against the mounting tabs on chassis. Can ball joints be bad even if they’re un-torn?

Thanks ahead of time and I look forward from hearing back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry for the gramatical mistakes. I posted from my phone and its too late to edit. IDK, I just hate bad grammar.

I wanted to add that the vehicle makes the sound when raising/lowering even when in neutral with foot off brake.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
516 Posts
I see you replaced the sway bar end links, good, but did you replace the sway bar bushings? They tend to cause knocking under articulation or ruff roads. It is a good idea to mount a gopro or similar under the vehicle to see what is loose or just not right. Good luck and good grammar.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol thanks. Don’t bad sway bar bushings ‘clunk’ if you stomp on the brake pedal at low speeds? I don’t have that sound. I could disconnect the sway bar link and feel if the clicking still reverberates through the UCA to isolate the sway bar bushings.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
135 Posts
I see you replaced the sway bar end links, good, but did you replace the sway bar bushings? They tend to cause knocking under articulation or ruff roads. It is a good idea to mount a gopro or similar under the vehicle to see what is loose or just not right. Good luck and good grammar.
Agree. I didn’t have knocking noise until I installed new non oem sway bar bushings, noise was pretty bad even while driving and then replaced it with oem ones and all the sounds went away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took out the bushings today to check and found them to be the culprit. There was no lubrication between the bushing and bar, so they made a popping noise whenever the suspension articulated. They were only 15k old, but are already looking torn up due to the friction. I received the recommendation to switch to poly and use silicone lubricant.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
135 Posts
You’re not supposed use lubrication on these bushings, maybe the ones you had now weren’t oem and that’s the reason they worn out quicker, ether way after all the searching I’ve done no one recommended using poly bushing, as the oem aren’t that expensive or that difficult to replace in the first place and they last around 30k miles but good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts