RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started to get a "pop" sound when I back up after I have been parked and sitting for a few hours. Doesn't do it if I have been driving and then back up, only seems to do it after the vehicle has been parked for an extended time. Not very loud and the feedback reminds me of when I used to live in cold climates and ice would freeze the tires to the driveway. Sounds like it is on the drivers side, coming either from under the drivers seat area or rear wheel area? Any ideas, brake sticking, wheel bearing, drive line...?

Thank you for any feedback/help, great forum!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
263 Posts
Do you use your electronic emergency brake?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jacksun said:
Do you use your electronic emergency brake?
Thanks, I don't use it at all but I did check that and it operates fine and doesn't seem to have an effect on the noise. I have tried engaging and disengaging it before backing up and still get the noise regardless. None of the squealing noise either from the E brake that others have experienced while using it...

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
61 Posts
Same issue with my car but it never does it when I take it to the dealer. It only happens sometimes, but it is noticeable when it happens. Someone once asked me if I hit something backing up.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Does it only happen after you wash it?

If so, very normal - the brake discs oxidize, and stick to the caliper/ park brake. Doesn't happen once the vehicles been driven and the oxidized layer removed.

Pretty common problem with steel rotors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lone Rangerover said:
Does it only happen after you wash it?

If so, very normal - the brake discs oxidize, and stick to the caliper/ park brake. Doesn't happen once the vehicles been driven and the oxidized layer removed.

Pretty common problem with steel rotors.
No, still seems to do it at times when it has been parked for a few hours, nothing specific to if it has been washed or not. Sometimes I will get the "pop" even multiple times a day if it sits for at least a couple of hours. It does remind of a sticky brake but only does it in reverse and judging by the brake dust being even on both sides, I don't think that is the case, doesn't seem like I have any that drag. :think:

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
263 Posts
Hmmm...there are clips that hold the pads in the calipers and prevent them from moving, maybe one of those is broken and when you roll backwards the pad shifts a bit?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts