RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some weird problems with my '87 Classic and hope someone can help out.

It idles and runs fine in neutral adn revs real smooth but when I put it in drive it starts running real bad, no power, accelerates slow, alot of popping (backfiring) through the intake. I've recently replaced the plug wires and fuel pump. Is there any sort of vacuum that runs to the tranny?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
159 Posts
Stupid question, but you do have the right fuel pump in. If you've got fuel injection, you need the high pressure pump.

Probably more likely that it's an ignition issue. What state is the coil in - it could be something simple like a poor connnection on the king lead going to the distributor giving a weak spark? Are the distributor cap and rotor arm genuine Lucas/LandRover items? Getting pattern parts for them is a waste of time and money as they don't work and just cause problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it was running the same before I changed out fuel pump and plug wires.

I haven't tried a new cap and rotor yet. The thing that had me baffled was how good it runs before engaging the tranny. I guess it could just be running bad under load. I'll try a cap and rotor this evening and check the coil.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Coil is a good guess, also alternator, these are tricky to diagnose because they usually work ok at idle but fail under power where their needed most, and have the most strain put on them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So a bad coil could give these symptoms? Will an aftermarket coil work or should it be from the dealer like the cap and rotor?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've got a Bosch coil on mine and it runs well - some say it's better than the OEM one. I wouldn't go for a cheap/budget one, but go for a branded one. The cost is higher, but give better piece of mind especially after a few years with it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Success. After replacing the fuel pump, coil, plug wires, and plugs it ended up being the fuel filter. I had changed the fuel filter a couple years ago but I forgot I had done it before I backed too far down to launch my jet ski and had gotten water in the tank, that must have killed the filter.

One more question, there are 2 round metal objects bolted to rails that run along the front of the radiator, they are connected to power leads and have something inside that spin. Any idea what they do?

·
Registered
159 Posts
The only thing I can think of round there with that sort of description would be the horns - there are two: bass and trebble. Pull a connector and see if the horn stops working

·
Registered
300 Posts
adamharo said:
One more question, there are 2 round metal objects bolted to rails that run along the front of the radiator, they are connected to power leads and have something inside that spin. Any idea what they do?
Sounds like the aux/air con fans, in front of the radiator right? but behind the front grill? :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
if it is idling alright then consider that the auto trans is dropping the revs too much and causing poor idle.check the oil level in your auto transmission .also depending on the model the map sensor may be faulty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi there i had a simular problem like this on mine and i cleaned the connections on the aux air valve on the rear of the plenum and the temp sensor on the front of inlet,maybe worth a check anyway :?:

but just had a thought mine started and ran fine from cold but this happened when hot,if that helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had 2 vehicles with similar symptoms, neither Rovers, but it is worth a try...Check to make sure that your catalytic converters are not clogged. This can cause all kinds of strange symptoms like different trouble codes, but the biggest is a loss of power. The only way I know to check them is to drill a small hole on both sides and see if the pressure emitted is equal, good luck...Mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts