RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Can any one help?, spent day off roading with no problems until last flood, powered through flood and got through ok, engine stuttered after 100 metres lost power, regained power for moment then lost it, got on road with on/off power to 45mph first hills down to under 20mph, continued to drive for few miles, stoped at Services. Air filter was wet, removed it and cleaned air box. Engine starts and sounded smooth on tickover but wouldnt rev with full power. Continued to drive for few miles got worse, stoped and noticed LH Cat was glowing bright red, got home on tow rope. Next day checked plugs, full spark on all, runs with no knocks or vibrations but wont rev past 2-3000rpm. Has anyone go any ideas ??? Air flow meter? Lambda sensor? cat?
 

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
Joined
·
9,244 Posts
Glowing cat could mean a blocked cat IMHO.
Check the cats and the o2 sensors.
A blocked cat would give the symptoms you are experiencing.


Martin
 

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
Joined
·
9,244 Posts
To check the cats, easiest way is to remove them. Then you can either physically look into the cat, test drive without them, or both! You need a multimeter to check the o2 sensors.

Martin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
MAF would be what I would be looking at. They don't like water, if they are throwing too much fuel (or not enough) you can cook the cats.
 

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
Joined
·
9,244 Posts
kmagnuss said:
leftlanetruckin said:
You need a multimeter to check the o2 sensors.

Martin

False. You need an oscilloscope.
I thought they gave off a voltage, at least mine do according to faultmate......... :thumb:

Martin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi. Have Started p38 today, wiggled few wires, Swaped around a few fuses, Tapped and Banged, Engine runs a lot better but not right. Mid range power ok but stutters when booted. Will get local garage to plug in to computer and check/change sensors as advised above. Any other Advise aprecated !! Attached below few clips of p38 when running ok..
 

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
3,622 Posts
They do give off a voltage...but it's a very fast up and down change, and can only be caught by an oscilloscope. The multimeter just sort of tells you it's on...not that it's in range.
 

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
Joined
·
9,244 Posts
kmagnuss said:
They do give off a voltage...but it's a very fast up and down change, and can only be caught by an oscilloscope. The multimeter just sort of tells you it's on...not that it's in range.
Ahh ok, I have tested them before on Jeeps after motor swaps etc, but my multimeter has a memory function where it will record the data then play it back through the laptop in a graph format.
And the faultmate gives the reading for the o2 sensors on the Rover, so I guess I took it for granted! :oops:

Martin
 

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
Joined
·
9,244 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
3,622 Posts
I hijack threads like Delta. I even have a knife and a USP 45 within arms reach. Screw you TSA...alla la la la la la la la!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
kmagnuss said:
I hijack threads like Delta. I even have a knife and a USP 45 within arms reach. Screw you TSA...alla la la la la la la la!
Well you won't be flying again, after the NSA see this! ;-)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
suezee g said:
Hi. Have Started p38 today, wiggled few wires, Swaped around a few fuses, Tapped and Banged, Engine runs a lot better but not right. Mid range power ok but stutters when booted. Will get local garage to plug in to computer and check/change sensors as advised above. Any other Advise aprecated !! Attached below few clips of p38 when running ok..
A few years ago, mine started doing strange things after I got some water under the bonnet whilst washing it (don't ask). It was bad for a week or two. Finally 'fixed it', by separating as many electrical connectors as possible and spraying WD40 in each side. For those connections I couldn't separate, I just sprayed them liberally from outside...
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top