RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if there would be a reason for not using this type os tube as a replacement for the airline to the air bags. Mine have frayed too much and causing leaks and i already have joins in the system.

I have similar 6mm black nylon tubing but it's not as flexible as you would want it, and I think it would kink of bent too much which would be worse. I can get this tube for in 6mm for $0.75/m (AU) so it could be an inexpensive upgrade?

Please any thought, experiences appreciated.

Tyrone

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
check the temp rating, you want atleast 300f or engine bay temps will melt a hole in it (ask me how I know...)

I think the first stuff I tried was polyethelyne (sp?) I use and sell nylon now.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Also check the burst rating...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK thanks,

It is pressure tubing to 120psi, as I understand the bags only get about 100psi max, I don't know for sure I don't have a gauge on the bags, or tank for that matter. But good point with the temps, did not think of that, could have been interesting.

How did you go with plumbing the nylon tubing around, any areas of concern or trouble?

Tyrone

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
A bust rating of 120 psi is not going to cut it IMO. I certainly wouldn't use it anyway. I have seen higher pressure than that on my system. I would go for a minimum of a 300psi burst rating myself.
For the time it lasts (196k miles and 12yrs in my case) I would just use the right stuff and be done with it. I know there are corners we can cut with our rigs, but suspension, steering and brakes are not any I like to cut myself :thumb:

Martin

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
Legris Nylon tubing is rated 176 F but i use in some areas without any issues Legris Polyurethane tubing that is only 154 F rated.
This one naturally bents and is perfect for some areas.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys,

Dennis, How did you go with plumbing the nylon tubing around, any areas of concern or trouble?

Also the short blue tube from the compressor, is this the same as the OEM black tubing, just blue??

Thanks again,
Tyrone

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hi Cyclone
At first, for a quick job, I re-plumbed the airlines to the rear bags and simply cable tied the 'new' to the 'original' ...but be careful which one you trim :oops: . If you can get the new line in a different colour ...that is very helpful. Later, I got some 12mm (internal diameter) electirc conduit which I secured to the chassis with stainless jubilee clips, and shaped the curves in the conduit with a heat gun. I use it to run electrics and air lines to the rear.

There's a pneumatics place http://www.fittingsexpress.com.au at Brendale just around the corner from "AirBag Man HQ" which has all the bits and pieces you need!
good luck

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Hoges, great ideas, will look into this further, I am currently waiting on soem GENIII's for the rear as i have a leak in the RR and an thinking of doing a full serivce/upgrade to the lines while I'm at it.

Tyrone

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hoges, I call Fittings Express and they have a flexible Nylon, how about that? Sond like it might be the ticket.

See how we go.

Tyrone

1 - 11 of 11 Posts