RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced there Pollen Filters with a type of filter that can be cleaned and reused ? :think:

Scotty

·
Registered
553 Posts
I removed mine the other day but because I cant just nip down to the shop and get a new one I cleaned my old one with some compressed air and a vacume cleaner it worked quite well but honestly I cant realy tell the difference between it being dirty and clean

·
Registered
442 Posts
G'day Scotty,well i change mine out every year ,clean them every six months, Close your distribution fan vents vaccum out ,and blow excess crap out of area with compressor ,blow out and remove crap from filters,
I suffer from heyfever and i have to say that since owning the rover the amount of dust in these cars are minimal compared to the landcruiser which did'nt have such filters and poor door sealing to forever dusting the interior and sneezing :cry:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess if your changing them one time a year thats not to bad, My deal is that I live in a very high wind location and drive about 30k a year, so I would like to change the filters every three months or so. What's killing me is the $15.00 each. So I thought about making my own, that I could clean instead of replace. It would consist of A micron screen, filter then another micro screen and the same type of plastic holder and the hole thing held togeather with small ty-wraps. Anyone have any thoughts?

Scotty

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,723 Posts
The frames are designed to form a tight seal when the flat filter is inserted into the curved fitment. At 30K a year, an extra $30 per filter change should be chump change. :lol:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Being as the Pollen filters cost alot more here in Australia than just about anywhere else in the world I thought about the possiblity of using the Hepa filters from a vacuum cleaner.. I haven't found one the right size yet during my efforts in looking but it should be possible, wouldn't even have to be a hepa filter (probably overkill anyway)..

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Carl, I didn't think about the seal good info man thanks, your P38 back on the road yet?

Scotty

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,723 Posts
I haven't had much time to work on her. Hopefully I will have the last of the headbolts broke loose and heads off by this weekend.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahhh, good luck Carl..

Scotty

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
The problem here is that there is nothing between the very coarse plenum filter and the superfine pollen filter. The pollen filter is therefore exposed to all of the heavier dust and grime particles which clog it up very quickly. I fix sheets of Kitchen roll tissue over the filters with a couple of dabs of contact adhesive, and this extends the life of the filters enormously. Economy brands filter less but give less resistance to air flow so experiment and change as needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts