RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I own a 2008 Range Rover HSE. I noticed yesterday a few of mouse droppings between the center console and both the driver and passenger seats. I am just wondering if there is any known points of entry for mice to get into the cabin of the L322? I searched around a bit but couldn't find a specific thread regarding them getting into the interior. The previous owner did install trailer braking wiring so that might be one area of concern. Thank you for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Theres body plugs all over the place inside the truck on the floor plan. The trailer rubber plug is one down in the spare tire well, but there are also about 6 plastic plugs under the spare tire in the rear well. If he was having water intrusion issues (don't we all - I found a 1/2" of water sloshing around in there last weekend ) he may have pulled one or more to let the water drain out. Most of them are above the aluminum heat shield over the muffler so you can't see them from under the vehicle, but I'm sure a mouse could squeeze his way up in there.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
34 Posts
Get some mouse traps in there quick, a hungry mouse can cause a fair amount of damage, or scare the hell out of you when driving !!! Mark did you find your water leak, i had large amounts of water round my spare wheel, killed the compressor and sound system !!! turned out to be the rubber seal round the tail gate.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Haven't found it, but the back edge of the rear deck that you open to get at the spare was damp, so it must be coming in the rear glass, or down the sides of the tail gate somewhere. I do notice i get some water that drains down on ether side when I open the rear upper glass after a good rain. We're getting about an inch and a half (about 4 CM for you European (and Canadian) folks) of rain in the next 12 hours or so, so I'll have yet another opportunity to check it out without busting out the garden hose.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
There really is no way to tell, unless you find a spot they're clearly entering from it could be anywhere. Put traps around the car, put laundry drier sheets in the car. I constantly have mouse problems with my un-driven/seasonal cars in the garage. I feel like once you find one in there, they've somehow marked it and every mouse within 2sq miles will make a run of it. Drier sheets to drive them out, traps to murder them... Use peanut butter, they have to fuss with it more. Don't use poison as they may ingest it then die inside the car somewhere. Also moth balls around the car too if you can deal with the smell.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That was the same for me, if you lift the flap that covers the hinges on the lower tail gate is that damp. What i found at the top of the gutter was a load of debris from a build up of decompossed leaves etc, and the rubber seal was all rippled where it meets the body, so the water was puddling behind the debris and running inside this ripples and making its way into the boot. The replacement rubber was about £ 100 and the edge that meets the bodywork was completely smooth, not like the old one i pulled off. When the rubber was off i also lowered the roof lining as there is a metal box section either side that also enables the water to get in the car and track down the side, i filled these with silicon. i did take some pics of this so will try to find them so you can see the area i mean. I didn't work this out for myself but as told this by someone that use to work for Land Rover at the factory. I also popped of the D pillars and ran some silicon round the rear side windows just to be sure, but don't think that was really needed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
IMG_9850.JPG IMG_9851.JPG IMG_9844.JPG

Not the best of pics, but gives you an idea of the state of the rubber seal i removed, and you can see the section before i filled it with silicon ( sorry couldn't work out how to rotate it)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the quick replies all! I will put a trap in there and check those plugs. I had a valve stem shear off when I went to check tire pressure last week so I did use the spare. I didn't notice water but maybe a plug got knocked loose during the change. I'll check that out tomorrow and will keep you updated if I find anything.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
690 Posts
I had a rat get in my P38 by chewing through the wiring harness in the firewall.
Our neighborhood has an issue with rodents because of our close proximity to a wooded area with a creek.
I’m so concerned about one gaining access in the 08.

Sent from my iPhone X

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I found one of the two rubber wire raceways that connect the upper tailgate to the roof structure was pulled off at the roof end, its where the rear view camera wires, and rear wiper, upper brake light, and license plate light wires run thru. Don't know if any water can get into that area and then get inside the truck that way. My headliner doesn't show any signs of water staining, or sagging so if it does get in that way it must still be inside the tailgate structure somewhere. I did notice the plastic sleeves over the tailgate support cables seem to collect water inside the sleeve, and it leaks out when the tailgate is lowered.

·
Registered
2007 HSE
388 Posts
A mouse once got into my wife's car. We assume the mouse got into the car via one of the kid's backpacks sitting on the ground at school while waiting to be picked up (small school on 5 acres with llamas, chickens, etc.). Anyway, I left a couple of glue traps on the seats, floor and dash, worked great, probably had the mouse caught within 10 minutes after leaving the car in the dark in the garage. The mouse picked the one on the back seat...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wish I’d had any clue that a mouse was in my 2009 RRSC. One got inside blower motor inside the dash. I noticed a foul smell earlier this summer when turning on the AC. Luckily they only had to partially remove the dash to pull the rodent out however, it still cost me $700.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts