Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished the first 1000 km with my one week old 2013 RRS. LOVE IT! Supposedly one can upload POIs from a smartphone to the GPS as long as they are in a .gpx file format. Has anyone successfully done this? I can not get the GPS to read my smartphone when its connected via USB cable.
Gerd

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe you need to transfer the .gpx files on a USB flash drive to successfully transfer them.
Thanks Umberto. I managed to do just that. However, now I cannot set these points as a destination. I was hoping to create .gpx points from say Google Maps, upload them to the RRS' navigation system so that I can set the as a destination. It gives me an error message of something like "no POIs found nearby". Strange.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,015 Posts
Let me try and see what happens, kinda curious myself as I've not tried that feature yet. I plan on generating gpx POIs from Google Maps, and sending them to my USB flash drive as "Garmin GPS" files (which uses gpx.) I'll upload them to the car and report back with my findings.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,015 Posts
"No corresponding POI close." WTF does that mean?!? I can see the uploaded POIs on the map with the icon I picked, I just can't set them as destinations.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Area 51 never showed up on any maps either. What sort of "destinations" are these?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,015 Posts
I think the satnav doesn't understand longitude / latitude coordinates, must be a formatting issue. If I create a gpx file using a street address for the POI (in Google maps, for example), I can upload and use it as a destination no problem. It's when I point at a map and save coordinates instead of an address that the gpx file doesn't seem to be usable, although it uploads just fine.

I'll work on it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I found an answer to setting downloaded POIs as a destination:

Very simply, you can set any downloaded GPX file directly as a destination as long as it is within about 30 km or 16 miles distance of the car (and the SATNAV/GPS). That's it.

If you want to set a downloaded POI as a destination that is further away, you have to manually go there (small zoom/scale) so you see it on the screen. The target cursor will "catch" it so that you can select it as a target. However this is cumbersome since it is not easy to move around on the screen and you must be in a small scale to see the POI.

The best way to mark for example trailheads that are further away is to get the coordinates from Google Earth or Google Maps and then enter them manually into the SATNAV. That's really only 12 numbers and works quite fast and easy.

Gerd

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,015 Posts
I just captured this Special Service Message on Topix... Hmmm, I wonder if it's got anything to do with the inability to save certain GPX files that are not nearby or if this is purely coincidental. Don't remember if I have tried manually saving coordinates on my 2013 LR4 yet, but I'll give it a shot later to see if I am unable to do so.

ReferenceSSM69538
ModelsRange Rover Sport / L320
LR2 / L359
Range Rover Evoque / L538
Range Rover (All New) / L405
LR4 / L319
TitleUnable to save navigation co-ordinates
CategoryElectrical
Last modified06-Dec-2013 00:00:00
Symptom207000 Entertainment Systems
ContentIssue: A customer may report that they are unable to save navigation co-ordinates.
Cause: Software compatibility issues
Action: If a customer reports the concern detailed above an HLDF software update will be required using SDD. To complete the update follow the instructions below:-
-Ensure DVD 135 patch 9 or later is loaded
-Connect the vehicle to a suitable power supply
-Connect SDD to the vehicle
-Start a new diagnostic session
-Enter symptoms: Electrical - Information and entertainment system - Touch screen display
-From the “Extras” tab select "Configure existing module - Front control/display interface module (high level display front)"
-When complete end the session, and disconnect SDD.
-Disconnect the power supply

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"A customer may report that they are unable to save navigation co-ordinates"

Quite frankly, I have no idea what that means. When, how and why would you want to save navigation coordinates?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,015 Posts
To save known coordinates of a trail head among your favorites for later use, for example. I just tried it in my LR4 (I entered the coordinates of The Racetrack in Death Valley - can't think of a more desolate place in California - and saved the spot among "My Favorites") and it worked no problem, so I guess my car must not be affected by the above software bug.

Try saving: 36° 40′ 52″ N, 117° 33′ 46″ W

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am trying to do this for my 2014 RR V8 SC and no luck...really not very user-friendly (the nav). Not sure what I am doing wrong but would love to convert my POI's that I have already organized on my Porsches (.navi files) and that won't work...so trying to do some manually on a USB saving as a .gpx file but no dice...it imports into the nav but can't do anything with it...it gets the wrong destination...weird.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts