RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering if anyone in that big wide world out there has put sill tanks into an efi model? Problem is I won't have a rear tank, as I've got lpg tanks to go in there. I'm wondering where to put the fuel pump. I'm wondering if it's possible to 'shorten' the pump frame.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
benji said:
I'm just wondering if anyone in that big wide world out there has put sill tanks into an efi model? Problem is I won't have a rear tank, as I've got lpg tanks to go in there. I'm wondering where to put the fuel pump. I'm wondering if it's possible to 'shorten' the pump frame.
I believe you will find that a generic external EFI fuel pump will suffice. I also understand that a pump out of a VL commodore is an external one that works OK on a Rangie. What you will need to get/build is a surge tank. The surge tank is for when you might get on a bit of an angle and there is no fuel around the fuel pickup in the tank. This is what the large bowl on the bottom of an internal fuel pump is for. Pump you can run an small external surge tank between the fuel pump and fuel tank. It would only have to hold 500ml or less

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,427 Posts
Yes, I have. See http://p38arover.com/rover/rovermod.html#auxtank

I used a conventional electric fuel pump and transferred fuel from the sill tank to the main. If I recall correctly, I modified the main tank filler neck by brazing a tube into the neck. This pointed down into the tank. I could easliy check fuel was flowing when I operated the transfer pump.

.... but this won't work in your case you are getting rid of the main tank. ;(

You could try an external high pressure fuel pump which is a not uncommon way of replacing the EFI RR fuel pump. Modifying the tank for a standard RR submerged pump would be an expensive exercise. The submerged pumps are springloaded and will "collapse" quite a way but maybe not enough for your sill tank.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx heaps,
Ron thankyou for your email. I've just bought a 95 spec lse (named kellogs, cause there's quite a few flakes) I've got some rear underfloor lpg tanks, and am looking at sill tanks (moving the eas stuff). Sounds like a surge tank, and an external conformadore pump is the way to go. I looked at the rear quarter pannel tanks by tinley, but I don't hink there very well protected, it'd only take a nong head to smack the car on the rear-side. I've worked out how to fill the tanks from the origional filler, and connect it to evaps. stuff, so that should keep it legal. thanks all for your help once again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts