RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am not mechanically minded so all advice appreciated and forgive the non tech description.

I sent my P38 into my local rangie mechanic with 280,000km on her to confirm a ticking noise form under the hood. The car was idling well and running good however lacked power. Turned out to be the head gasket upon their initial inspection. They took the RHS head off and found the head and block is no good (melted?). Told me I have to replace the motor. They mentioned something about the water case leaking or something and that 3 cylinders had compression leaks. That would explain the lack in power I guess. They also said something about the sleeves - again I didn't understand :(

They've offered to throw in another motor with 160,000km on it for AUD$5,000 fitted with 3 month warranty.
If I go down this path what should I ask about the other motor? Should I get it compression tested, heads removed and inspected prior to installing in mine?

What are my other options that are good (well this is not good) on the wallet?
Is it worth getting the heads and block reco'd? Again, I am not a mechanic so know jack in this area.

I'd love a Stage 3 from V8 Reno's in the UK but for a car that is going to pull ~$10k (injected gas recently fitted) I am very hesitant to spend more.

My plan prior to this was to get a Defender for touring as the P38 Gremlins make me nervous. (I'm not sold on the Defender yet so perhaps I'll start another thead at a later date - it's just a box - where's the leather?)

Advice, thoughts and contacts appreciated!!

Many thanks,
Zem

PS: I am based NE of Melbourne, Australia.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, I also wanted to ask is it even worth looking at keeping her long term given she has done 280,000km?
If I replace the motor is that the first of many other bits that will need replacing? Is she too old?

I have had the rear diff, all air bags and radiator done about 12 months ago.
Interior is clean and I only do about 10-15,000km per year.

Thanks again :oops:

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
$5,000 fitted sounds ok if the motor is in good condition. At 160,000Km I suspect the motor is due for a major overhaul and replacement of parts such as timing chain, lifters, rockers, head gaskets, maybe even the camshaft, water pump and injectors.

If you are also registered on AULRO.com, it might pay to PM "Andrew e" to see what he has in stock. You can also find him on eBay as "Son of Bundalene". Andy usually has a few wrecked P38A's and may be able to supply you with a working engine or perhaps one that can be rebuilt to your specs.

My preference would be to get a good block and then build it up, knowing that all the new parts are good.

Drop a message over at AULRO.COM as well... some of the Melbourne blokes are sure to have some recommendations.

Cheers, Paul.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Zem.

Check out www.marks4wd.com which has completely new Chev V8 crate motors suitable with their kit for the P38 from AUD$5k !

Personally I'd keep the Rangie & replace the donk, since further down the track there are other issues to creep into the motor ?

Alternatively, Simon @ Quottro Sport Zentrum in my favourite AFL team suburb 'Hawthorn' could help out with an Audi V8 swap.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys.
I got onto Triumph Rover Spares and they have a P38 motor with 90,000km on it, new cam, head gaskets, 3 month warranty. $3,300 delivered to my mechanic.
Plus $1,000 to fit. I think this sounds alright and placed a deposit today.

12 hrs earlier Vinnie and I would have checked out the Chev for sure!

Will keep you posted and hopefully I have her on the road by Xmas.

QUESTION: As my current motor has injected gas, is it a simple enough job for any LR mechanic to drill the new heads to fit my LPG injectors?...or is this a specific LPG installer type job? Thanks again lads and I must say I am quite excited to know that my baby will be back again! <singing> "Must be love..."

·
Registered
191 Posts
glad to hear it worked out Adam so that you can keep your baby.

Incidentally, if you went the 6.0 litre Chev route I would have thought you would have to do some serious modifications to the drive train?? I thought about that for my rebuild but wanted to keep it original as much as I could - but it is alot of bang for your buck

I'd put mine on gas too if I could find someone in Melbourne who I had ccomplete confidence to do a first class job - anyone?

Take it easy

Reagrds

Andrew

PS the current thread on the diagnostic forum about the hawkeye vs extreme is an enthralling read for those contemplating buying one of these

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me get the new motor in and the gas back on and I'll reassess my opinion on the gas installation. Originally it ran well (towing 2 tonne boat up hill) however I had repeat problems with the idling and lack of power. Perhaps it was the engine causing the issue - not the gas. However they did set my engine bay on fire with carby cleaner while looking for leaks!! A horrible sight to witness!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys,

Just clicked over 500km so still running her in. Will take it easy for another 250km then give it a right boot full.

Idles great on both fuels and so far I am happy...touch wood.
Will keep you all posted.

Oh, I plan to keep her for at least 2 yrs to cover costs....plus I love her :)

Andy - perhaps LPGas1 in Tullamarine actually did an OK job with the gas and the rough idle and **** performance was due to my crappy old motor....however they did set the old one on fire by accident :roll:
Happy to meet up and show you the install/ test drive etc.

Cheers,
Zem

·
Registered
191 Posts
good to hear its working out Adam.

I have been boondoggling about on the web and cone across Deacon Automotive's website based In Melbourne. They seem to devote some space to the LPG conversion. Have you (or anyone) any experience of them? Link attached.

http://www.deaconauto.com.au/Gas_Vapour_Injection.html

Let me know when I can have a look at yours please - I'll be pottering around at work in the city from tomorrow on but no rush. Or I can come for a drive to see you no problem.

Happy New year evryone.

Cheers

Andy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts