RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a bit of an odd question.
I need to replace the filter in the plenum below the windscreen and I have noticed that all replacement filters only appear to cover the two larger, central sections. What about the two smaller side sections? I have seen no reference to them and the wire mounting frame doesn´t extent around them as well.

Are the two smaller end sections meant to be unfiltered? What is the point of filtering the centre sections and leaving the others wide open - apparently defeating the purpose of the filter?

An reason why I should not make up a new, longer wire frame to cover all the holes?

Rowan

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,421 Posts
I've wondered about that myself.

However, looking at the location of the holes, is it designed to vent air out rather than into the car? That is, air comes into the plenum via the filter then some of it is exhausted via these holes.

Why?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It appears to be just one big chanber under the panel containing the filter and from there it is drawn into the pollen filters and on into the car. Mine doesn´t have any partitions separating the section with the filter from the outer smaller holes and so it does seem to defeat the purpose of having only half the available holes filtered.

Very strange - or am I missing something?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Last time I changed my filter, I made some small ones out of some filter material that matched and I fit them in there. i could not leave some holes open like that, didn't seem right.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was my plan - maybe make up a new, extended wire frame and custom make my own filter out of some suitable material. There are quite a few posts regarding what to make decent filters out of.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
I haven't run any foam in there for a couple of years with no bad effect, and I think it looks better without.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
fine screen mesh wire/plastic works well.
A thourough repair job will take around 1-2 hours

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
viperover said:
fine screen mesh wire/plastic works well.
A thourough repair job will take around 1-2 hours
+1 and it looks very modern

1 - 8 of 8 Posts