RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow I was going up some hills I never thought I could go up. Looking forward to the next trip to Gorman CA.
20180102_133510.jpg 20180102_133109.jpg
I finally got all systems up to par and the Cooper H/T tires held up against all kinds of rocks.
Cheers!!!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P38 only have low which has a hill descent picture on the shift(low1). I think that was on newer Range Rovers.
Here is a quick video I made with my phone but I am going to make a good one next time with the action cam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC1UJYqpHqg&t=25s

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
I Know what you mean, I own a p38 as well and it is the reason I suggested using hill descent. youre supposed to use hill descend only on low as an aid before using your brakes.
because I have used it extensively, I made my comment of waiting until you used it your self.
even on newer rovers you need to be in low range before hill decent is able to be activated.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try low next time when I make my HD video. Sometimes it is easier to use the brakes but it is important to save them.
Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
2,197 Posts
Read the section on off road driving in the owners handbook. When going down a steep hill you select low ratio, 1st gear and don't use the brakes at all. To reiterate, a P38 doesn't have hill descent.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info will be reading.

·
Registered
690 Posts
In either high or low range, putting it in 1st will lock up the freewheel clutch in the gearbox. Although it won't apply the lockup clutch this will allow more engine braking through the torque converter, since the freewheel would normally just slip.

Incidentally this is why if you "flip" the clutch sprags by continuing to drive with a jumping chain or by shock-loading the gearbox in any other way (think spinning tyres at high revs and suddenly finding a bit of grip) you can still pull away by selecting 1st and then changing to Drive once you're moving. Think of it as a mechanical fuse - it'll break to prevent something worse happening and leaving you stuck out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts