RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover P38A
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pleased to announce a new addition to the family (2001 Vogue)

Hello all,

As above, we now have another family member a RR 2001 Vogue 4.6. I'm used to driving a diesel on springs so the 4.6 on air was a eye opener to say the least.

The RR was purchased with three problems.

No1. Shifter won't go through the H gate into Low Range, however I believe this to be the shifter handle requiring adjustment.

No2. The Sat Nav has the white screen, however I'm going to remove fuses 1 and 8 from under the seat for a few minutes just to check if that sorts it out.
I
If the fuse removal doesn't work am I right in thinking that the problem is with the DVD unit in the boot space?

I don't have the Sat Nav discs either but am hoping that there's one in the DVD unit and that the fuse removal will at least get rid of the
white screen.

One last question guys, can the Sat Nav be powered down to cancel the white screen showing. I'd rather have a blank screen than the
white.

No3. HEVAC has no illumination. My diesel had a similar issue with half the HEVAC requiring the bulbs changed.

This Vogue does have a couple of extras i.e. DVD player/screens in headrests and Playstation 2.

I drove the Range 250 miles yesterday on the motorway and the computer indicated an MPG average of 27 having said that I don't normally drive over 2000rpm so this Range is in for an easy life.

I'll post a few photos this weekend as it will taking me wood pigeon shooting.

Many thanks for all your continuing support.

Garry

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,159 Posts
Re: Pleased to announce a new addition to the family (2001 Vogue)

Hi Garry!

Congrats on your new addition!

I can't help with the shifter problems, sorry

Sat Nav... I think it's buggered. From reading lots of posts on the unit, the "white screen of death" is unrepairable - it is the Nav unit in the boot space.
On these beasties, it's still a CD drive - the MK IV DVD unit wasn't introduced until the L322 model (even the first ones of them were CD - and are interchangable)

I had other issues with my Nav unit, and the replacement I ended up with was for an L322 - it worked, but I couldn't access the settings - as on the L322's, it integrates with the radio system etc.

You have a couple of options really... Either find a replacement Nav computer, or pull it out and replace it with something else.. (Which I've ended up doing - and done a write up here: http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/40661-7-navigation-install-factory-location-clean.html )

Post #12 has a download of a PDF documenting my install.

I think the white screen is just the nav computer, and screen is ok - have a search for "p38 navigation white screen" or something similar on google - should get some results from this forum aswell as other LR forums. If you go factory, and need a replacement screen unit for any reason, I still have mine from when I removed it - fully working etc.

HEVAC Illumination - is done by 4 lamps at the rear of the unit. You need to take the centre console side trims off to access the 4x screws to remove the HEVAC ECU. 3 of the lamps are accessible from the rear of the unit, and the 4th one is under the "auto" button. There's info on the main site in the "Common Issues/Repairs" section... this link is to the HEVAC ECU illumination page: http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/lcdlights.html

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Marty

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hi Marty, thanks for the reply and the very helpful information. I'll try and source a used DVD unit. Lookslike the HEVAC will be another straight forward fix (you can just see the LCD screen readout albeit very dim).

Don't think I'll try the fuses as it doesn't looklike it's going to make any difference.

I'll keep the screen in mind just in case.

Garry

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts

No worries..

I'm not 100% sure the MK IV DVD units will work - though if you can get your mitts on one, then it would be interesting to see... the MK III units from both P38 and the L322 have 2 connectors on the (blue and purple) and one coax connector for the GPS receiver. As long as the MK IV DVD unit has the same connections, then it *May* work... have a bit of a search on here, as (once again) I have seen a few threads - albeit from years ago - asking about the navigation computers etc.

Only reason I posted the link to my navigation upgrade, is because I think I ended up spending around £100 to do the whole thing - including nav unit, and a GPS re-radiating antenna, switches wiring etc - to get a bigger screen, up-datable maps by a USB connection, and postcode searching..

Oh, the other thing I forgot to mention... PM me if you get a replacement drive, and I can probably hook you up with a 2012 UK map disc.

Marty

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks Marty, I'll let you know how I get on. Just been out on the Range and the passengers footwell is soaking wet (just had some heavy rain). I could see it running down the carpet!!!

Any ideas..?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts

Passengers footwell on our vehicles (RHD) means it's not likely to be the O-rings (that's drivers side..)

Where abouts in the footwell is it running in? at the front near the glove box, or more nearer the seat?

If it's up the front somewhere, then check the pollen filters. You can remove the plastic trim where the OBD connector/footwell light is, and reach up to the blower motor. At the front of the blower motor, there's a plastic flap (with foam on it) - which is the recirculation flap. If that's wet, then it means that water is getting in around the pollen filter, and running down inside the cabin from there.

I found this on the drivers side... the pollen filter was missing completely. On my passenger side, it was put in upside-down/back to front. (After I'd asked for them to be changed at service... but that's another story.. needless to say, I bought them and did them myself!)

One of the other things if that is the area of water ingress is have a look at the bottom of the windscreen and see if the plenum foam is still intact. If not, it's worth replacing it (and cheap too). It's an afternoon's work to get the trim off etc, but a) it looks a lot better once it's done - and b) it stops a lot of leaves and debris getting into the scuttle panels where the pollen filters are - debris in there can trap water, and cause it to dam up and run into the filters, and hence into the cabin.

There could also be a case of the actual seal (under the pollen filter) is perished, or not seating properly, and I've read on here and I think on the main site, about people having used silicone sealant around the factory seal to ensure a proper watertight seal once the pollen filter is installed.

If there's no sign of moisture from there, then see if you can trace it up the A pillar (the trim just pulls off - but don't be too forceful as the clips can break. If one does it's not the end of the world, as it will still hold with one missing!) It could be a case of the front sunroof drains being clogged, and water overflowing from there and running down the inside of the A pillar into the footwell.

I have read also that a person had an incorrectly fitted/sealed windscreen and that caused a leak inside that was hard to trace - but I think this was from a replacement, not a factory defect.

In addition to that, I've read (maybe on here or another LR forum) about there being a tiny hole in one of the joins in the roof rails, which has let water drip in - but to be honest, I've only read the one case of it... Pollen filter/cabin air intake, or sunroof are the most likely culprits!

It won't hurt to clear the sunroof drains anyway (most people don't even know they're there, or where they are etc) but the main site has some good pictures as to where they turn up.. the front ones come out in front of the front doors, if you look forward in the gap when the door is open, you'll see a piece of tubing with a black thing on the end.. the black thing is a non return valve, which often clogs up... I've just removed mine totally (one had already fallen off) and then you can run a piece of wire, or a mixture of hot water/mould removing cleaner down the tube from the sunroof.

On a fine day, if you open the sunroof, and then pop your head up from inside the vehicle, you can see the front drains at each front corner.

The rear ones run down the pillar behind the rear door and end up going through the bodywork just behind the rear seats (behind the trim). If you take the plastic loadspace finishers off, you can access them. I have on previous RR's removed them altogether, and poked the clear tube into a piece of cooling hose, and then through the bodywork - the nipple on the non return valve gunks up easily, and then it overflows. On my current one, I didn't have a piece of hose the right size to hand, so I removed them, cleaned them out, and then snipped the tip of the valve to leave a bigger opening - this hopefully means that and smaller silt etc will wash through, and not clog up.

The rear ones are a bugger to get back in the bodywork, but make sure they are seated properly!

If you've got water in the spare wheel well, then it's a good indication of blocked rear sunroof drains... not cleared, and left, they cause other problems (in my case the mouldy rear carpet I found a few weeks after buying the car, and all the main wiring looms to the BECM sitting an a half inch of water! And a complete rip out/change of carpet... once again another story!!) Also it seems that the DSP amp for the stereo can get water into it (it's behind trim, behind subwoofer) and that causes them to stop working... something which is getting harder (and more expensive) to replace!

Don't mean to scare you, and it sounds a lot of hard work (maybe just the way I've written it) but if you work methodically at it, then it will save a lot of grief later!!

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Marty

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Hi Marty, many thanks again. The water is coming in behind the glove box slightly to the left. I'll try the pollen filter first.

Garry

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts

Definitely pollen filter/scuttle panel area...

Just had a quick read of a few old threads - could be as simple as the seal on the pollen filter cover... would be the first place to check I guess..

Cheers,
Marty

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
484 Posts

......... I drove the Range 250 miles yesterday on the motorway and the computer indicated an MPG average of 27 having said that I don't normally drive over 2000rpm so this Range is in for an easy life.
I want your engine ..................... or perhaps you have a (slghtly) over-optimistic computer!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hi, I have a 2001 vogue that I think needs a new sat nav screen as there's just a green line on mine, how much do u want for urs.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I want your engine ..................... or perhaps you have a (slghtly) over-optimistic computer!
Hi Garry!

Congrats on your new addition!

I can't help with the shifter problems, sorry

Sat Nav... I think it's buggered. From reading lots of posts on the unit, the "white screen of death" is unrepairable - it is the Nav unit in the boot space.
On these beasties, it's still a CD drive - the MK IV DVD unit wasn't introduced until the L322 model (even the first ones of them were CD - and are interchangable)

I had other issues with my Nav unit, and the replacement I ended up with was for an L322 - it worked, but I couldn't access the settings - as on the L322's, it integrates with the radio system etc.

You have a couple of options really... Either find a replacement Nav computer, or pull it out and replace it with something else.. (Which I've ended up doing - and done a write up here: http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/40661-7-navigation-install-factory-location-clean.html )

Post #12 has a download of a PDF documenting my install.

I think the white screen is just the nav computer, and screen is ok - have a search for "p38 navigation white screen" or something similar on google - should get some results from this forum aswell as other LR forums. If you go factory, and need a replacement screen unit for any reason, I still have mine from when I removed it - fully working etc.

HEVAC Illumination - is done by 4 lamps at the rear of the unit. You need to take the centre console side trims off to access the 4x screws to remove the HEVAC ECU. 3 of the lamps are accessible from the rear of the unit, and the 4th one is under the "auto" button. There's info on the main site in the "Common Issues/Repairs" section... this link is to the HEVAC ECU illumination page: http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/lcdlights.html

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Marty

Hey Marty, I need a new screen for my 2001 vogue I think, mine just has a green line on the screen, how much for yours?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Hi Garvin, It must be an optimistic computer but I was expecting to use more fuel for a 230 journey. I have to say though I lost count of how many arctics passed me on the motorway.

What's the average 18 - 20?

Garry

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts

Yeah, 18 to 20 would be good...

My trip around Ireland was about an average of 19mpg on petrol, and about 16mpg on LPG (though the LPG system does need a tune up, and I think she was running a bit rich on petrol)... 27mpg for me is a pipedream - and I'm not that heavy on the right root!

Cheers,
Marty

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
484 Posts

I'm a bit 'anal' over mpg and record tank to tank filling on all my vehicles so can confidently tell you that, over some 55,000 miles in my tenure, my 4.6 Vogue has achieved:

Overall : 15.82 mpg
Best tank-to-tank : 19.83 mpg
Worst tank-to-tank : 11.96 mpg

Having said that the best tank-to-tank was achieved over a 350 mile stint on motorway and good 'A' roads cruising at 70 mph. Worst tank-to-tank was a period of short start-stop journeys all of less than 10 miles or so.

·
Registered
256 Posts

You might want to look at replacing the old NAV with an after market unit It would really make a Big difference in the dash and bring you a lot more functionality with DVD, Radio, SAT Nav, iPhone interface, Bluetooth Interface etc. Your $ will go a lot further rather than trying to resurrect aging technology.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts

I agree with the nav thing (hence why I've done it) - but I also know some people like to keep them as stock as possible. I've just tried to make mine look like it's supposed to be there!

@ Garvin - I am a bit like that - I've kept notes on how much mileage I've done, when I've fuelled up, and how much I've put in (and of what fuel - petrol/LPG) I need to finish looking at the last stint of my holiday back into London.. Trip computer was saying I was getting just under 21mpg on the motorway at one point... but I don't fully believe it! Part of my reason is that my LPG gauge gets to 1/2 way, and then doesn't seem to go further until it runs out! hence I like to keep an eye on the mileage!

Marty

·
Premium Member
626 Posts

Can you buy aftermarket units that fit into where the old sat nav currently sits in a P38?Do you have any examples of these or know what sites sell them by any chance?

·
Premium Member
626 Posts

Do you have any pictures of you're new Vogue???

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts

@ tompage81 : regarding the nav... in a word... no... there isn't any drop in aftermarket unit that will just work. I've fitted an aftermarket unit - and tried to keep it as stock looking as possible. There's a link a bit further up the page to my thread on the install... and there's a pdf download a few posts down, with a write-up/pictures of what I've done/how I've done it etc...

There are quite a few members on here with different type of aftermarket install - but all have required some for of modification/customization to make it fit in the factory space...

Cheers,
Marty

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Hi Marty, checked the pollen filter tonight and found that both filters were wet so changed the filters and plastic caps with a spare set so hopefully we'll be dry soon. I couldn't see anything visibly wrong with the original plastic caps.

Garry

1 - 20 of 25 Posts