RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Would it be safe to say my sump gasket has failed?

IMG_5003.JPG

I have these photos as well as the underside of RR is covered in oil. I just want to check what else may be prone to oil leaks.

IMG_5011.JPG

IMG_4993.JPG

IMG_4996.JPG

IMG_4999.JPG

Many thanks in advance for anybody that takes a look.

Best regards,

Steve

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,759 Posts
Just because the sump is cover in oil does not mean the gasket has failed. The leak could be anywhere up top or out front and that is all just blow by. With an undercarriage that dirty it is very difficult to trace leaks unless you can see drips or streams of oil.

First step is to clean your entire engine top and bottom if you are going to find the root of a leak. Then go through valve covers, sump and front end and make sure everything is properly torqued. You may very well find it's a matter of things having worked loose.

From there it's a wait and see game. Where do drips first appear? Sounds like alot of work. In the end you will have a clean engine and undercarriage, things will be properly torqued and you wont be wasting labour and/or parts on bits that aren't the issue.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
346 Posts
I fully agree with RRToadHall. Clean it up, if you want add a little oil dye then watch.

As to your question - the lower oil pan gasket looks fine. I am not sure about the upper. Your oil pan bolt looks to be leaking. Your Vanos Solenoid seals look like they are also leaking.

Does all the oil smell the same? I doubt your diff is leaking, but the smell test will tell you.

Put cardboard under the engine and spray some cleaners. Then maybe some engine degreaser and give it a good washing.

·
Registered
385 Posts
My engine was full of oil, front, sides, and bottom before I did the timing chains and Vanos. The front engine cover gaskets were as brittle as glass and leaking close to a quart of oil per week. Now, she's clean and dry.

As stated, the oil moves all over as it travels downward.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
86 Posts
Had a similar looking underbody from an oil leak. She had been leaking for a couple weeks and leaving small puddles of oil everywhere, even smelled a bit of burnt oil after driving for a while. Lost about 3/4 quart. Took a bit of poking around but it turned out the oil filter was leaking at the gasket. The filter had worked loose after some beach driving and just needed to be tightened down 1/2 turn. No more leak and plenty of cleanup to do.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
182 Posts
I had a similar looking leak as well. After changing the upper timing cover/valve cover/vanos gaskets it was cut down significantly. However, it still leaked. Turned out to be the small hose connecting the PCV valve to the metal tube going down to the crank case.

Definitely get under there and spray it with simple green, scrub it, and spray it, over and over. I went to a self service car wash so I could use their higher pressure, power washer like hose. It did a nice job. Once you are done you will be able to trace it much better. Get a bright flashlight and inspect the vanos gaskets up front. If there looks to be dried oil around that area as well, I would clean the top, front, and sides of the motor as well, just make sure you tightly cover the ABS pump as it will throw the ABS code and all subsequent Air Suspension codes if it gets wet.

Also, remove the HVAC airbox under the hood and put the hood into "service mode" so it stands straight up. Then crawl back there and inspect the PCV system. You can also turn your phone's video camera on with the flash and stick it back there and move it around slowly so you can get a good look at it. If it is original, you should replace the valve and respective hoses as well, as they can get clogged over time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts