RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend was driving my 98 RR 4.0 and it told here to select neutral and all the gear lights were flashing on the center consol, so then she did and they continued to flash and then nothing happened and if you take it back out of neutral back in to any gear the lights continue to flash and it asks to place it in neutral again...

She said that when it first started to do it there was like a paint or plastic burning smell? Maybe just a wire melted though or something.
:|

·
Registered
276 Posts
Select neutral and a burning smell sounds like a burnt out transfer case ecu, the early versions had insufficient cooling and can burn out very quickly.

You should look under your drivers seat, the ecu is under there, and take it out, if it smells/looks burned on the inside you have found the culprit.

There is an updated design available where the cooling problems are solved.

Sigi

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It drives and does everything normal mechanically, but it just keeps asking to select neutral. i dont wnat to drive it in case it was trying to save the tranny or something...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
munichp38a said:
Select neutral and a burning smell sounds like a burnt out transfer case ecu, the early versions had insufficient cooling and can burn out very quickly.

You should look under your drivers seat, the ecu is under there, and take it out, if it smells/looks burned on the inside you have found the culprit.

There is an updated design available where the cooling problems are solved.

Sigi
awesome, ill check that out!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so im under the seat...is it the front box or the back one....the back one isnt labeled, but the front one says transmission...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Front one. Unplug, open up would be what i would do.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well you guys were right.... burnt up ecu under the seat...the odd thing now is that when I have it removed from the car, it no longer asks to select neutral and goes in to all the gears just fine... :think:

I ordered a new one and as soon as it arrives i can pop it in and be back on the road!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

Your car has two gearboxes and the burned ecu is for the second gearbox. If you want to select low range for offroading or towing (or neutral when you need to be towed) you will find that this will not work. Your ZF gearbox is working fine but your Borg warner gearbox isn´t.
When burning the ecu there is a change that you have also fried the motor that is used to move the borg warner from high to low range which must only be done when the car is stopped. If you select low range the low range light will start to flash and will come on bright after the exchange is complete also the small display under the speedometer will display that you are in low range. There are some audible beeps during the change over.
The reason that all lights where flashing when the fault appeared is because the ecu did not send the right information from the position switches of your borgwarner change over lever to the main ecu under the passenger seat (BECM) .

regards

Jos

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input...

i don't use this car for towing or off road, so can it drive with out the box under my seat in the mean time? It would just be standard road driving with P,R,and D...

I got my new gear box ecu...for under the drivers seat, i plugged it in and its still asking for neutral and still blinking lights on the center console. Does the batt need to be unplugged or the comp reset or something? or is it also a mechanical prob?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi again

The transfer box has a special switch attached to it to transmit the position of the shaft to the computer. If this switch does not transmit the right code you will have the flashing and the select neutral message. It is also possible that the new ecu does not get any power because the fuse burned when the old unit burned, it is also possible that the electromotor that is used to operate the gear change has burned together with the ecu. The best thing is to check your fuse first and if ok disconnect the change over motor and check if it is burned or shorted you could damage your new ecu.

I was informed by the dealer that some owners here in Malaysia continue to drive their verhicle without any problem other then the flashing light and anoying beep when their ecu burned and they did not want to spend the cash to repair it. I myself would be confident to keep on driving but would check the position of the change over gear by checking the signals from the switches of the position sensor. In the Rave is an overview in the workshop manual under the part electrical where they give a table what the signals have to be on which wires. If the position is not correct you can turn the mechanism (by hand if your motor is burned) until it is in the right position.

Good luck

Jos

1 - 11 of 11 Posts