RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I fly there on Friday to buy a car, they are saying California is a reciprocal state with Illinois so they are taking 6.25% which is around 3,000. The problem is the last time this happened to me I told the dealer please don’t send the sales tax in because California dmv will lose it. On a 100k car the tax was 9000 and I ended up paying it twice until 6 months later the dmv refunded my money. I really want to buy the car drive it to LA, and pay the sales tax when I take the car for an dmv appt inspection.

The problem is is it would be really hard to sue them in small claims court if they scammed me out of another 3,000 and I have to pay it twice.

any dealers or Illinois car savy guys can help me? Please?

Or do you know a dealer that I can call that you trust?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIV / L405
332 Posts
I just went through this over the weekend. I bought a RR out of state and they said they have to collect tax if there was a lender involved. So I bought it outright. In your case, I would use the CADMV link below to calculate fees. I did a test on a motorcycle I purchased last month and it was accurate down to the dollar. Make sure the tax amount is listed on the bill of sale so when you register the car, the amount is deducted at DMV/AAA. DMV should go after the offending dealer but we all know how the CADMV operates.

Another good read:

If you are having second thoughts about the dealer being dodgy, I would worry more about the car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts