RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have been trying to figure this one out for a while now, but now my truck won't start, so I am in a bad spot. For a month or two now, every 2 weeks the truck will just not stay running. I get in it in the morning, and when i start it, it turns over, but will only run for a second or two. It doesn't seem to make any sense. I thought it was the ground points a couple weeks ago, so i cleaned all of them, and the truck started and ran fine, but now it did it again to me. I don't know what to do. Like i said, it starts perfectly, just won't stay on for more than 2 seconds or less. It does this in park and neutral. I am aware that it pretty much could be anything at this point, but i don't know where to start, especially without too much money right now. I put new terminals on, cleaned the grounds, and checked most of the wires to the battery and alternator. Please help me figure this out. My truck is a 98 rangie. thank you guys, i really need some help.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but someone else told me that too, but I am not sure exactly how to go about this. I think i disconnect something, and then connect a tire pressure gauge to it somehow, i think. Maybe I am way off. If it were the fuel pump, wouldn't it not come back on? like the way the last three or four times this happened, it eventually turned on after a few days? doesn't seem to be turning on now, though.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Following this train of thought could you also check the relay that powers the pump just to make sure it is getting all the juice it can. I would guess that you might be able to rent a fuel pressure guage and finally a few bangs on the tank to see if that might jolt it. On my van when it died it just died. I can't say that I've ever heard ours run on the rangie. Good hunting.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my fuel pump relay is actually a little burnt on one corner, so I already swapped it with another of the same color, and still doesn't work. I guess this means that the relay is fine?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
?????????? the funny thing is, when i took out the relay, the car just cranked, and wouldn't turn over. When i put it back in, in started again fine, but STILL won't stay running for more than a couple seconds at most. I guess this means the fuel pump and relay are serving their purpose, as i didn't really want to spend 70 dollars on a relay that might be ok anyway. Does anyone have any thoughts? i really need help here. thanks

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Check fuel rail pressure, has fuel filter been replaced.
If you turn on ignition can you hear the fuel pump comming on, if so how does it sound

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey guys. The pump always sounded fine. i went thru everything with the fuel system, new filter, relay seems fine, etc. any ideas what else could cause this? like i said, it still starts fine, just won't stay on for more than a second. thanks again, still not having any luck with this.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Check fuel rail pressure, air filter and sparks. you need all three to run........
But from what you have said I would think it is a fuel issue so check the fuel pressure and the filter.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just Found this on RAVE......MAF sensor, 'as there is no default strategy, failure will result in the engine starting, and dying when it reaches 550 rev/min, when the ECM detects no MAF sensor signal'

Maybe this might be playing up, try a clean up and check wires... :thumb:

SID.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts