Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just replaced my PCV, Cyclonic Oil Separator, all 4 Cam cover gaskets, and some mushy PCV hoses.
The gaskets and PCV were planned, the rest was either replaced as I went along or as a precaution.

I also had the Cam covers professionally powder coated as they were looking a little rough.

I got the engine running again today, but noticed there is a ticking noise seemingly coming from the top of the engine (hot or cold).
I don't think the noise was there before but as I haven't driven the car for about 6 months there's a possibility it was 8~ also I'm sure it would be quieter with the acoustic cover fitted and bonnet down.

The only fault I originally had were leaky gaskets leaking oil both into the spark plug wells and down the sides of the engine.
The car had an oil change less than 3000 miles ago and currently has about 115k miles on it.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Please help to identify V8 ticking noise (video included)

I should add that I also used a mechanics stethoscope to try to narrow it down, but the noise is fairly uniform accross the whole intake manifold area.

·
Registered
111 Posts

I can't watch the vid as I'm currently on my ipad, I have similar it's either vanos rattle or timing chain tensioner, mine I think is tensioner as it some times rattles like a bag of bolts for a few secs at cold start up, this is because it's worn and oil drains from the tensioner

·
Registered
2,487 Posts

Usually you don't turn the engine on with all the sound deadening/covers off the engine since you shut it off to work on it (probably why it's a new sound) IMO it just sounds like injector tick, probably wasn't very noticeable before with the covers on/hood closed/etc. If it's not throwing any codes or revving funny you're probably fine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks, I'm probably just being fussy. When I've degreased the engine I'll put the covers back on and see what it sounds like. If I can still hear it I'll invest in some sound deadening material.

·
Registered
17 Posts

to me i can hear the normal injector pulses as you hear -all over the engine, (normal,) but there is a slower different clucking sound from i believe the vanos cogs. have someone else listen all over, then around the top of each front cam cover, with a nearly empty kitchen towel roll against an ear. (it deadens surrounding sounds) if you hear the slower clucking -that is vanos slack. its not a great deal of worry it will still work, and it will get noisier. reasearch vanos rattle etc. you can reseal them for around £100 including a special tool, and a big vice. (parts from besian, USA) but you really need a timing locking kit to guaruntee you reset the chain perfectly, it turns into a bigger job, as its the best time to change the timing chain/guides/tensioner. i did mine. it was a long job. its possible to revamp the rattling vanos by also reasearching vanos return valves. these come out from behind the vanos solenoids, with mirrors and gentle persuasion you can carefully get these out and replace, with all else in situ. thus stopping oil back-drain. they are only a couple of quid each. look at thse before going for vanos cogs off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts