RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just recently told by my local dealership that I need to immediately replace my brakes(I believe the technician said I have about 3.5mm remaining before I hit metal on metal) on my 2008 Range Rover Sport. I was given an estimate of around $1,500 for the job, at the time the price seemed a bit steep so I decided to do a bit more research. Currently I am leaning towards getting the work done at an Indie shop. Can anyone recommend/comment on good brake pads to order?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
A "bit" steep is a bit of an understatement. :wink: Any brake job done through a dealer is usually way overpriced - just search the forum. For that much dough they surely recommend replacement of at least one set of discs - and probably both - along with the pads, but that's not always necessary if this is your fist set of pads... Get a second opinion from a reputable, independent Land Rover mechanic. With 3.5 mm of pads left you are not going to grind metal tomorrow, so you have some time to pick a recommended local shop, use genuine parts and still save yourself hundreds of dollars for just a tiny bit of extra inconvenience.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My "Brake" indicator keeps flashing & beeping while I drive. This started yesterday. I called my local indie shop and they said I should be fine until 8/20th (which is the earliest they can take my car). You guys agree w/this? The light comes on & beeps (check brake pads appears on the console); sometimes it remains lit for a while then disappears and the whole thing starts again. VERY annoying!

They quoted me anywhere from $200-$1200 depending on what needs to be replaced. What do you guys think? Should I not be driving it?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Your brake wear sensor has not quite worn through the contact yet, it's probably about to and giving intermittent warnings - I had that once (I think Drevs was in my car on the way back from the mountains - every time I touched the brakes, "Ding!" Brake fault light! Annoying as hell).. But if you can live with that chime you should be OK to drive for a few hundred miles longer. Eventually, the sensor will wear through and the intermittent warning will become permanent. Don't let too many days go by though, I never trusted those sensors much myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the reply. I ordered new sets of Ferodo break pads for the front and rear and got a labor estimate from a local break shop. The shop basically recommended to refurbish the rotors before I place new pads on. I was also wondering if i should order a new sensor for the new set of pads?

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
umbertob said:
I had that once (I think Drevs was in my car on the way back from the mountains - every time I touched the brakes, "Ding!" Brake fault light! Annoying as hell)..
"Annoying as hell" more aptly describes all the dimwitted LA drivers we had to slalom through on the 210!

You are fine to drive your truck for many hundreds of miles after the initial sensor goes off. The sensor triggers well before you need to replace anything. The downside is that your sensor will have to be either:
a) disabled
b) repaired
or
c) replaced
in order for the infernal warning chime to shut up. And while we're at it... if this is the first time your vehicle has needed brakes, more than likely you have enough meat left on your rotors to reuse them. That said, doing the brake swap yourself is no act of heroism. Just follow the DIY thread posted by that one monkey looking guy.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
You can turn these rotors again - but not all shops know who to do these composite rotors correctly.

Wish I read this earlier - I would advise on Porterfield pads, a carbon kelvar pad. Much better pad in my opinion, stops really well, and the big plus being minimal brake dust. If you are able to cancel your order, I suggest that route.

I took out the sensor and wire tied it and tucked it away; I check my pads frequently so I don't need to rely on the sensor.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
akapitanski said:
I was also wondering if i should order a new sensor for the new set of pads?
Brake wear sensors are relatively inexpensive (remember you only need one sensor per axle, and front and rear sensors are different), and although a sensor that's not been triggered can be removed from the old pad and reused on the new one without issues as long as you you are careful during the "transplant", if you want to order a set just in case something does break you will only be out an extra 40-50 bucks. Eventually, you will use them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I checked out the brakes this morning & it must be the rear passenger side sensor that has tripped. The front brake pads looks NEW!! (Backround: I purchased the car in March. Has 60K mi. Previous owner said brakes had just been done; must've been just the front.)

I'm thinking I'll do it myself! I've done the front & rears on a Lexus RX300 & LS400 before. I doubt this will be any different. Will it? The only thing that i'm a bit concerned about is the sensor. How hard is it to replace?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
umbertob said:
If you are not in a rush, the best prices are online. British Parts of Utah has fair pricing on, rotors, sensors, OEM and non-OEM pads: http://www.bputah.com/rrs.htm (scroll down to Parts.)
Righto.

UPS tip of the day: if you plan to order rotors and live on the left coast, don't order them from someplace on the east coast. The full set f/r weighs ~100 lbs and shipping cost will eat up any savings.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks guys,

Just called the dealer & here are the prices:
Rear Pads w/Bolts: 102.41
Spring Clips: 6.54
Sensor: 21.80

I think these are pretty reasonable. One question though: do I need two sensors?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
jmwgomz said:
Thanks guys,

Just called the dealer & here are the prices:
Rear Pads w/Bolts: 102.41
Spring Clips: 6.54
Sensor: 21.80

I think these are pretty reasonable. One question though: do I need two sensors?
There is one sensor on the passenger rear and one on the driver front only.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Picked up the parts at the dealer. I'll swing by costco for some shop towels on my way home. Maybe pick up some West Coast IPA & I think I'm ready to give the rear brakes a shot! If I don't post on my progress by tomorrow you know I've careened into a ditch because I somehow screwed up! If this happens, pls call the authorities!

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
jmwgomz said:
If I don't post on my progress by tomorrow you know I've careened into a ditch because I somehow screwed up! If this happens, pls call the authorities!
Just pump the brake pedal with short strokes (don't let it go to the floor) when you are done to build up the pressure before you go driving off.

Apparently this guy forgot to do that.

[youtube:etudyi08]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qVb4fvJ2dY[/youtube:etudyi08]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts