RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me decide which tires 255X55/19 to buy for my 2006 HSE Range Rover. Prices for four vary by $350. My choices are: Michelin, Continental, Pirelli, and Bridgestone (in order by price). Has anyone had any BAD/GOOD experiences with these brands? I live in Florida so I never drive in the snow but do see plenty of rain.
Thank You for your input.

Paul

·
Registered
565 Posts
You should be able to do some good comparison shopping on tirerack. That is how I make my decision on almost every tire.

My experience with every continental I have ever owned is that they wear out very quickly although I have been satisfied with their performance up to that point. I generally have had good luck with Pirelli and tend to go that route when they are available in the size that I require.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I too, have a 2006 HSE. I had the Michelin's on my 19" rims and they are hard to beat. The only problem is that you can hardly find any discounts on Michelins. I found that Costco combined with special coupons directly from Michelin(search the web) can get you the best price.

I just put 20" supercharged chrome wheels on my rig and it has the stock continentals on them. Performance wise, I feel like they are comparable to the Michelins. You can find better deals on these.

The Pirellis are a less expensive tire, but my consultant at the tire store said to stay away from them, since the Range Rover is such a heavy vehicle (although they are rated for the weight).

The Bridgestone is probably going to be the least expensive option (usually buy 3 get 1 free). I don't have any experience with these tires, but my intuition and research leads to being a fair tire at a good price.

Unfortunately, there is no economical decision when it comes to the Range Rover. The only thing I can say is to deviate from the Goodyear Eagle (not rated to carry the weight) and the Korean tires. Although I was told Michelin made the Rodian or Hankooks.

Good Luck

·
Registered
543 Posts
Mista.

It maybe more suitable since your living in Florida to purchase a set of factory 18" rims which were standard on the overseas versions of the Mk111 and install Mickey Thompson's ATZ radial in 275/65R18 size which is just 1" higher than the original.

I prefer the handling & ride compromise on a 19 inch fitment, but as you're aware replacement tire choices are very limited.

My personal experience with round black things tells me Michelins are the most suitable weight for wear and performance, as I have had poor experiences with the Continentals(though they are slightly better than the Michelins on wet pavement!) and Pirelli's are a good all-rounder whereas Bridgestones were my last set and tended to understeer in the wet as they wore !

Have you thought of checking out the Yokohama range, as I saw an '02 HSE shod with 22 inch versions & it drove beautifully ?

Cheerio,

Vince.
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you're polling, add me to the 'happy with Michelins' column. I run Synchrones in the summer, and find them quiet, very good at handling rain (and dirt roads and mud when we're at our country place). They also still handle well at the lower tire pressures suggested in the manual (vs. the ones on the door jamb), which gives you a nice smooth ride if that's your thing.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
166 Posts
I also live in Florida (moved from MA) and run 20" Continentals on my 2003 rover. I love my Conti's-they are a bit pricey but are worth it because they run super quiet and are sticky. I beleive they are a great tire for florida especially in the rain. just my 2 cents/

·
Registered
106 Posts
i live in fla too. last year at a little over 50k i replaced the stock michelins with toyo proxies since they were about $100 less per tire. original wear seemed pretty good, but now just over a year and about 23k later i am noticing that they only have about 10k left on them, as the wear bars are getting close. in retrospect even though they have a high treadware number, they aren't getting nearly the life the mich's got. i guess i should have just spent the money.

other than that they are a good tire. a little noisy, but not bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts