RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2013 RR Supercharged with the 22" style 6 wheels with 275/40R22. I am considering going down to a 20x9.5 wheel with a 285/50R20 tire which has MANY more options (even a few AT options). I was wondering if anyone has tried this combo or thought about it? Tks!

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
201 Posts
I have the 2013 RR Supercharged with the 22" style 6 wheels with 275/40R22. I am considering going down to a 20x9.5 wheel with a 285/50R20 tire which has MANY more options (even a few AT options). I was wondering if anyone has tried this combo or thought about it? Tks!
Could you share your reasons for downsizing ....ride? noise?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mostly for surface street comfort and somewhat for peach of mind. I haven't had any issues with noise, and highway ride is fine. But on surface streets, it's a little rough on some of the poorly maintained roads in southern california. I remember seeing a post earlier this year with a member with the same tire/wheel combo who hit a pothole and blew out 2 tires. That has always stuck in my mind while driving. Also tire choices increase dramatically going to a 285/50R20. I myself am in the tire business so I like to play around alot with my tire options and in the 275/40R22 essentially there is only the Continentals that come on the car or Nitto makes one in their 420S. I have also thought about going up to the 285/40R22 which is a little bit wide and a little (very little) taller on the sidewall profile. I also did some light trail off roading a few weeks back and was just so worried about my sidewalls. In 285/50R20 there are a few AT tire options out there. Hope this explains my thought process a little better. Tks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does somebody test tyres with size 285\50 R20 and 275\55 R20 on new l405 RR?
Is it a normal size? Do they fit? Have you got any photo?)
My dealer says it is too big(

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I think the 285/50/20 will be more likely to fit. The 275/55/20 is going to be nearly an inch taller and may run into clearance problems. The Yokohama Parada Spec-X would be a great tire for southern California, even including an occasional trip to ski country. I ran those on my 2013 for several months and was very impressed for such an inexpensive tire... I ran a 265/50/20.

·
Registered
8 Posts
for Russian winter 275\50\R20 - best size)
Dealer thinks 285 is too wide tire for new RR.
Does somebody test this size on this forum?)

·
Registered
703 Posts
for Russian winter 275\50\R20 - best size)
Dealer thinks 285 is too wide tire for new RR.
Does somebody test this size on this forum?)
I have 305/45/22 on my Range Rover Sport. I'm surprised that 285/50/20 would be too wide on an FFRR.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,986 Posts
did you try the 285/45/22 bridgestone dueler H/L alenza? the same with my escalade. it is a very good all season. 60k mile warranty and have exceeded that easily. it will fit a rim width range of 9-11".

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
149 Posts
Ignore your dealer or tire installers...more knowledge comes from this forum than others. I had to install my new wheel set myself because a tire shop wouldn't do it because of liability. Clearance

Use this site to compare sizes. http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/

Look at luxury4play.com for HUGE tires mounted on the L405.

Most RRs will take tires with a 31.2 height and a 11.22 width.

·
Registered
133 Posts
HI there I have fitted 285/50/20 Cooper Zeon LTR al terrain to my car, on the style one 20" rims, I think silver sparkle, they are the closest size about 3 klm lower speedo reading they fit ok with the front and rear mud guards hiding the extra width of this size tyre, and the top of the tyre is still in the guard area. They are great for comfort just a little bit nosier. Plus now I can park next to the curb and not grind the rims. Plus go off road with confidence! Even with the car lowered there is clearance of about 1" from the front tyre and the inside forward edge of the inner guard area. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you for your respond! Did I understand you properly that 285\50\20 not only fits, but there remains a gap between the wheel and the arc? Doesn't it rub? Does the wheel turn safely through its entire arc even on rocks and off road?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes !To your question there are no problems with tyre clearance fitting the 285/50/20 . go for it you will like the ride on the 20" rims.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
201 Posts
Yes !To your question there are no problems with tyre clearance fitting the 285/50/20 . go for it you will like the ride on the 20" rims.
Do the electronics and speedometer require re calibration if one changes wheel rim size?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Classic
98 Posts
I remember seeing a post earlier this year with a member with the same tire/wheel combo who hit a pothole and blew out 2 tires
Make that three blowouts. I guess some people lookout for potholes and some, like me, don't. If you are in the latter category, then smaller rims may be the way to go.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts