RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

The wife and I are in the market for a 2007 Range Rover. We've looked at a few and there's something that we find odd. I'm going to try to explain this as best as I can.

There is a strip of plastic, normally gray in color, that sits at the base of the windshield. The wipers come to rest right near this piece of plastic I'm referring to. It appears to be connected to the truck by little plastic tabs. Anyway, on every truck we've looked at, that plastic has been faded and/or very scratched. Is this a common thing, or is the fading caused by previous owners not garaging their vehicles? Why on Earth would this be so scratched on so many trucks? Is this something that can be replaced, and if so, is it a DIY, or a dealer thing?

Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
Blah Blah blah usual response about posting your location in your signature blah blah blah. :mrgreen:

Where are you looking? If you happen to be in the snow belt, then the ice scrappers or just general ice build up could be the reason for the scratches. Ice can be sharp at -20ºF and below.
Same with sun fading of the trim. Not everyone has a garage, not everyone can fit there car in it. Plastic fades, paint fades. Get used to it.

Oh, and yes it can be replace very easily if you have the slightest mechanical ability.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You are correct in thinking that all L322 Range Rovers older than two years seem to have this plastic trim fading.

It is caused by ultra violet light and the type of plastic used. (Very prone to fading.)

It can be replaced very easily.

The wipers also have an issue with corrossion on the bottom of the arms where they fold up to change the wipers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. :thumb:

I figured as much. Just seemed too coincidental to us. Good to know that it's a straight forward swap out. Seems like I should be able to force the dealer to do it, upon purchase.

Location and signature updated. :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
I fixed it with a product called Showroom New Trim Detailer. It's a black dye. Took about 15 minutes with a polishing pad and a couple of 1/2" paintbrushes.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
29 Posts
custard pie feet said:
"It can be replaced very easily."
Does anyone have the diagram or procedure on how to replace?

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts