RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this cold has made working outdoors brutal and I think it contributed to finding white plastic chips on the dipstick this morning. For anyone who has had the guides fail is this a good indication of falling pieces. There have been some noises that could be mistaken for very cold idler pulley bearings but also this morning, amongst other noises was an intermittent light scratching noise from the front of the engine but then really only the muted sound of injectors? Odometer is at 262000, kms or 163,000 miles so i guess i am coming into the mileage range when failure occurs. About 20 starts ago there was a short rattle on start-up which has repeated a few times since but very rarely heard before this.

·
Registered
631 Posts
What year is your Range? 10-12 with the 5.0?

My 06 SC and my Subaru both make some strange noises when it's -20c outside lol. I have 332,000 km on my Range and it's still going strong.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,783 Posts
Me thinks someone has a rig that is not in their signature. I can not think of anything in a 2004 that would result in white plastic in an engine. The timing guides are either heavy black plastic or aluminum with a black plastic/teflon wear strip.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replies. I put vehicle in my signature and no changes yet. This is our 2004 with the bmw engine. I was wondering about the colour of the chips as on one site I thought all was black but not 100% sure from all pics i have seen. Just had done an oil change with 5 L of 0-40 shell rotella t-6 and filled up remainder with 5-40 (same oil)and about 8 oz. of synthetic lucas oil stabilizer. There had been a very fine buildup of some powder on the plastic end of the dipstick which just rubbed to nothing on a piece of paper towel. I just looked at the pics at www.germanautosolutions.com and not sure. At least one piece looked like a clipping from a smaller human toenail. Weird that the pieces stuck to the dipstick but perhaps there was some static electricity that made the loose plastic pces gravitate to the plastic part of the dipstick. I had taken range in for an oil change due to the cold so unless the guy underneath shoved something into the oil pan or there was plastic in the funnel the guy used nothing should have fallen in there.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks. I just looked at a 4.44 minute U tube video set to music and it showed a one second shot of the, i think, end of the oil pick up tube which looks like a white plastic disc. with a screen in a portion of it. It looks like a shot of the sump with the lower oil pan lid removed.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I studied a cross section of the engine and it appears that the dipstick exits very close to the oil pump gear and the chain that runs it. I think there is a cover over the gear and chain and it also looks to be a black piece of plastic. Maybe possible the cover fell off but somehow a piece of plastic must have gone thru the gear and chain which would very likely create those pieces of toenail like clippings-just the colour seems impossible. The main chain and gears could also have done the work. Now I just reached my pinky finger into the oil filler cap hole and i can feel that the chain is loose on the valley side of the cam/vanos sprocket. It is very likely that the hydraulic tensioner has not been changed which may be the last possible point before either dropping the 1st. pan or pulling a cam cover. Could someone confirm if pulling the cover would reveal the most likely culprit. Last week the tranny in the van lost drive in 3rd and 4th and now this.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
27 Posts
I have done the dreaded timing chain guides on 740's and 540's, knock on wood for the RR. However if I remember correctly the hydraulic chain tensioners on the cam shaft chains have white teflon caps. They tend to chip a little, but really a non issue. Its been a while and I'm getting old... but that might be the source.

Edit: I see the kits come with black ones. Perhaps oldness came early. Swear blind one of the earlier ones had cream colored caps....

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
I’ve had all the years of RR M62s apart and all have had brown coloured cam guides. I’ve not noticed anything cream or white in the engine.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok. i ordered a new pan gasket so will try to drop lower pan in the next few days. may try to use one of those mini type cameras to see if i can see anything and or any more bits in my 150 $ oil change.:shock: dealer wants 70 for the gasket

1 - 11 of 11 Posts