RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I currently have a 07 Titan on a lease that expires next month. Instead of paying the $14K lease buy out, I’m thinking of spending about half on a new ride instead and save the other half. I’m looking at some 97-02 Range Rovers with around 75K-125K miles. I’ve heard RR are really bad when it comes to reliability with it ranking at or near the bottom of most reliability tests. And that probably explains why a RR even from 2002 can sell for well under $10K when it probably sold for $75K brand new. That’s some major devaluation.

With that said, if I do get a RR with those specs, I had a few quick questions that I’m hoping you can help me with.

1. How long can the engine last? Is it a max 200K or could standard maintenance get it to 250K?
2. What are the typical maintenance costs associated with a RR this old with this many miles? I don’t mind spending $100 here and there to make it current, but if I have to spend $1000 every other month, then might as well buy a new car.
3. I’m interested in adding the updated lights and grill to the ride to give it a current look, is that possible and if so, what is the approx cost (I would have a shop do it, I’m not handy enough to do anything like that myself)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
crucifixion said:
1. How long can the engine last? Is it a max 200K or could standard maintenance get it to 250K?
2. What are the typical maintenance costs associated with a RR this old with this many miles? I don’t mind spending $100 here and there to make it current, but if I have to spend $1000 every other month, then might as well buy a new car.
3. I’m interested in adding the updated lights and grill to the ride to give it a current look, is that possible and if so, what is the approx cost (I would have a shop do it, I’m not handy enough to do anything like that myself)

Thanks
1. It *can* last to 300k. Your guess is as good as mine though.
2. If you're not going to be doing the wrenching yourself, you'd be better served buying something more reliable. It probably won't ever leave you stranded, but little things can and do stop working pretty regularly.
3. Are you talking about the 04+ lights? Ha ha ha and ha. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site. Perhaps leave a location as to where you are. Our engine runs well and I believe it's original. It does have some valve train noise which could be several things. The engines should close on 200k miles but likely a head gasket job may be required. If engine gets overheated then much more likely. Also valve train may need replacing if cam lobe goes. Seems like serviced rangies may get issues with brake system because service [read fluid changes] are actually not done. Common sense seems to be required with our p38's. Do the maintenance yourself, so you know whats done, and you will be able to afford doing it properly. Some repairs should be done based on elapsed time. For example if air springs are showing cracks and are 8 years of age, seriously consider changing them out. [also valve block o-rings and compressor seal] Finally, perhaps save the money you saved, and keep it in reserve for a larger repair. You could buy the p38 "supercharged" grille for a couple of hundred and call it a day. [read-don't do the lights] With the amazing support created by some brilliant p38 owners, keeping a rangie now is realistically doable. And the details are all here on this site as you will read. It took us several months of ownership to work thru the hype and tho I feel much more comfortable now I'll always retain a healthy respect for ours. Years ago I had a Belgium built Saab which I resurrected and tho it gave me great pleasure it certainly had weird faults. In summary the first year maintenance could be 2-3 K as you get her in shape and taper off after that. Finally I believe you should buy as recent as possible. [read bosch rangie] :think:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
We have 196k on our original motor. Never had the head gaskets off it.
I replaced the water pump 2 yrs ago (never totally went, had a noisy bearing).
All 4 airbags, rebuilt the valve block etc.
Overall it has been a very reliable ride. There is nothing else like it that I have driven and we have zero intentions of selling the old girl anytime soon, even with the mileage it has.
I would not hesitate to buy another one myself, but being able to work on them yourself is a major factor in ownership of a luxury vehicle of any make IMHO.

Martin

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi,

I bought our Rangie in Sep. 2008 with 90000 km on the clock. It now has 130000 and it has - despite the bad reputation - been a very reliable car.
The only costs so far:

-new key fob
-brake pads front and rear
-brake accumulator
-engine belt
-new battery
-transmission oil change
-several oil changes

There were a couple of little problems (HeVAC display was non working, i fixed it for free, airbag fault, which was a bad connection in the dashboard). I have to say that i bought the car coil converted and that the heater matrix was disconnected, so some sources for problems are not there any more.

Overall, a very reliable car - and in my case very good value for money.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just did the same thing. The dealership bought back my 06 HSE and I bought an 99 HSE. This will be my fourth Rover. Most rovers have "quirks" compared to major problems. If you are mechanically inclined and begin to understand their systems, you can do a lot on your own. My 99 HSE with 100k I bought for 3000 bucks with the engine running rough and cutting out. I had this problem on other rovers before, it was simply a bad mass airflow sensor. If you find one that has a little problem that's easily remedied, you can buy one for nothing. And don't forget the fact they are just way cooler that a compatibly priced SUV!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thought I'd sneak in here .. :)
Been looking at Rovers for years, mostly early P38s, in my price range ..
Have my eye on a '96 4.0 now; supposedly has 200,000 miles, rebuilt 52,000 ago, with both "new air suspension" and "broken left rear air bag" :|

I have driven nothing but 4-cylinder Volkswagens for 7 years, not used to expensive repairs either, but can't stop thinking about switching my allegiance .. Maybe I should wait until I have spare ca$h and a garage?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts