RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 RRC. My original passenger window lift channel rusted out. bought new lift channel and door glazing rubber. I have tried to get the window into the channel with the rubber - can not do. Does anyone have a way how to do this -is there a special way. Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
When I did mine, the tip I was given was to stand the glass upside down on the top of your feet, place the rubber and guide in place and tap home with a rubber/plastic mallet. The theory is that the tops of you feet are sensitive and you won't hit the glass too hard as it really hurts! You do still need to make sure your hitting it straight as any bending of the glass will lead to it shattering

You can also use a lubricant on the glass like washing up liquid or WD40 to help

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
282 Posts
Rainbird is bang on - upside down on your feet works a treat - vaseline makes a good lubricant too, but the very best I've ever used is this..

R196339-01.jpg

slippery as slippery gets, and it's designed for drawing cables through conduit, so it's kind to most sorts of rubbers and plastics...highly recomended

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Rainbird . I have a question-I assume that I will have to take the door apart, are there instructions on how to do this some where-on the web. Many Thanks Again.

·
Registered
159 Posts
IF you need workshop manuals, then you have two options. There's RAVE, the official factory manuals which you can find online or the Haynes manual (haynes.co.uk).
For what you need, you'll need to remove the door inner skin - two screws in the inside door pull plus another round the handle to open the door inside, then the skin will pull off (assembly is the reverse of this, but you'll swear in different places). This allow access the the wind motor which has 3 10mm bolts holding it on - you'll need to remove it to get the glass out, but put some tape from the outside of the glass, over the top of the door to the inside to stop the glass falling down and shattering.

With the motor out, gently lower the glass all the way down. Then at the front and rear ends of the door are bolts holding the top frame of the door in place. Undo these and pull the top of the door off and also the rubber seal. This leave enough gap to get the glass and channel out. Replace the channel and put it all back together again.

Having said all that, with my rear windows, I put new channel in with the glass taped up at the top and the motor wound to the bottom, put a shed load of silicone sealant in the channel instead of the rubber and wound the motor up to close the window and left it for a couple of days. It's been OK for the last 5 years and all I had to do was remove the inside skin of the door rather than take the whole thing apart, but that was my choice and not the "official" way to do it

Hope this helps and good luck,
Peter

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
Having said all that, with my rear windows, I put new channel in with the glass taped up at the top and the motor wound to the bottom, put a shed load of silicone sealant in the channel instead of the rubber and wound the motor up to close the window and left it for a couple of days.
I did the same but used Tiger Seal. Flexible like silicon but has the sticking power of cyanoacrylate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rainbird I will do this weekend and take door apart and do it. I am positive because of your help. Thanks John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts