RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the gurus out there...
I'm going to have to store my beloved Agnes for about a year. What precautions/preparations should I take other than having her on a trickle charger during this time?
Thanks in advance.
 

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
5,175 Posts
I assume its gonna be in a garage somewhere, but in addition to trickle charger some things I can think of are:

1. Full tank of fuel--max it out--I'm not convinced on fuel stabilizer
2. Oil change
3. I would due a brake fluid change since 1 yr is a long time--you don't want water sitting around in the brake system
4. Wash and wax, cover
5. Drive it so it heats up fully and put it away hot
6. WD-40 door/trunk latches and metal stuff(only) in engine bay
7. Stuff some steel wool in the exhaust pipes to prevent rodents--put a note on steering wheel so you don't forget
8. I'm not sure if putting it on blocks is recommended with the air suspension maybe somebody can chime in here
9. But if not, air the tires up to close to max inflation and hope for the best--my guess is they will be flatspotted and you may need new ones
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gooseyloosey said:
I assume its gonna be in a garage somewhere, but in addition to trickle charger some things I can think of are:

1. Full tank of fuel--max it out--I'm not convinced on fuel stabilizer
2. Oil change
3. I would due a brake fluid change since 1 yr is a long time--you don't want water sitting around in the brake system
4. Wash and wax, cover
5. Drive it so it heats up fully and put it away hot
6. WD-40 door/trunk latches and metal stuff(only) in engine bay
7. Stuff some steel wool in the exhaust pipes to prevent rodents--put a note on steering wheel so you don't forget
8. I'm not sure if putting it on blocks is recommended with the air suspension maybe somebody can chime in here
9. But if not, air the tires up to close to max inflation and hope for the best--my guess is they will be flatspotted and you may need new ones
Thanks goosey. Hopefully I'll have a friend take her out once a month to avoid the flatspots on the tires and get the fluids circulated during my deployment. I appreciate the info.
 

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
11,013 Posts
Good suggestions. Tire flatspotting is going to be an issue with our suspensions, you can't just put her on blocks as you would with other cars. I think the best you can do is like goosey suggests, inflate the tires to near the maximum allowable by the tire manufacturer and hope for the best when you come back. Couple of other minor things you can do is removing the wiper blades (store them in the car so you'll remember to put them back on when you return...) and coat all door seals with a silicone grease. Do NOT engage the electronic parking brake.

Our cars wake up every few hours and self level downward to compensate for small air leaks from the air suspensions. To minimize strain on the air bladders, leave your car in access height, chances are you will find her on the bump stops when you come back but that would be a good thing. A dealer could put it in transport mode (on the bump stops as soon as you turn off the ignition, access height when you start it) using T4 to relieve all strain right away when parked, but obviously this is not an option for you unless you live next door to one.

It would be cool if a friend or relative could take her for a quick spin once a month or so to keep things lubricated. San Diego is a bit far, otherwise I would be happy to. :wink:

PS: Deployment... Are you in the armed forces? If so, please stay safe and thank you for your service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
umbertob said:
Good suggestions. Tire flatspotting is going to be an issue with our suspensions, you can't just put her on blocks as you would with other cars. I think the best you can do is like goosey suggests, inflate the tires to near the maximum allowable by the tire manufacturer and hope for the best when you come back. Couple of other minor things you can do is removing the wiper blades (store them in the car so you'll remember to put them back on when you return...) and coat all door seals with a silicone grease. Do NOT engage the electronic parking brake.

Our cars wake up every few hours and self level downward to compensate for small air leaks from the air suspensions. To minimize strain on the air bladders, leave your car in access height, chances are you will find her on the bump stops when you come back but that would be a good thing. A dealer could put it in transport mode (on the bump stops as soon as you turn off the ignition, access height when you start it) using T4 to relieve all strain right away when parked, but obviously this is not an option for you unless you live next door to one.

It would be cool if a friend or relative could take her for a quick spin once a month or so to keep things lubricated. San Diego is a bit far, otherwise I would be happy to. :wink:

PS: Deployment... Are you in the armed forces? If so, please stay safe and thank you for your service.
Thanks umbertob. Unfortunately, the dealer is a few miles away so I'll get a friend to just drive her around from time to time, keep her clean, and make sure everything continues to work.
Also thanks for the kind words. I'm proud to serve this wonderful country. I am in the Army Reserves and will be deploying to Iraq in a few months. I will stay safe and will be logging on from there to keep an eye on the forum and keep up with the latest and greatest from LR.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,738 Posts
I'm babysitting a friends LR3 right now. That's your best bet - just give it to someone that you trust and have them exercise it every so often.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
LBizzle said:
..........Also thanks for the kind words. I'm proud to serve this wonderful country. I am in the Army Reserves and will be deploying to Iraq in a few months. I will stay safe and will be logging on from there to keep an eye on the forum and keep up with the latest and greatest from LR.

+1 on the "Stay Safe"

While I am not from the U.S. your efforts are none the less very much appreciated !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
LBizzle said:
I am in the Army Reserves and will be deploying to Iraq in a few months. I will stay safe and will be logging on from there to keep an eye on the forum and keep up with the latest and greatest from LR.
Stay safe and thank you for your service.
 

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
131 Posts
you may also choose to store it in a professional facility that takes care of everything for you. a few things they do include: starting it and driving it (within a confined lot of course) once a month, maintaining your fluids, battery, wash it, indoor storage, etc...

i've done two deployments (15 months and 16 months) . the active duty military pays for these facilities for you while you're gone. however, this may not be a paid benefit for a reservist. personally, i care a great deal about my truck and would rather professional take care of it. unless of course, you have a friend that knows how to take care of vehicles.

good luck and god speed.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top