RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a set of black replica rims (RWC LFV80 which look almost identical to my stock 20" rims) and winter tires from PMCtire online, and they are shipping them to me soon. Their customer rep told me that it doesn't ship with lug nuts, and that I'm supposed to use my existing nuts as it should fit. Since my current nuts are chrome colored, I'd like to try to get a set of matching black colors nuts.

I could only find a few ebay sellers that carry the black nuts (but with shipping it's very expensive), but does anyone know of other stores either local (Toronto) or online that sell them at a reasonable price?

I'm thinking that maybe I'll just order a cheap set of these black plastic caps instead and just swap them out if they get scratched up or lost (not sure if the 17mm is my right size).

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
198 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Considering the weight of the L494, and the fact that they are powerful cars that often get driven fast, how safe are these wheel nuts?
I wouldn't know. If you are worried, here are some Land Rover black nuts for $400. Gorilla also has a set for around $100.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I wouldn't know. If you are worried, here are some Land Rover black nuts for $400. Gorilla also has a set for around $100.

thanks, do you know if the LR ones are uncapped?

the last thing I want is capped nuts, as they tend to strip and leave you in a bind (happened to me recently in the Defender when I was off-road).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Considering the weight of the L494, and the fact that they are powerful cars that often get driven fast, how safe are these wheel nuts?
Look for a lug nut that is spec'd as "Grade-8" material and you'll be fine. I had an 03' Wrangler that I built out with 35's and juiced up. Grade 8 hardware is what you seek for all bolts, nuts, and lugs. Same as on my 15' Rubicon that is even bigger and even more juiced up.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Look for a lug nut that is spec'd as "Grade-8" material and you'll be fine. I had an 03' Wrangler that I built out with 35's and juiced up. Grade 8 hardware is what you seek for all bolts, nuts, and lugs. Same as on my 15' Rubicon that is even bigger and even more juiced up.
Your Jeep is SAE which is a grade 8 rating. The Land Rover is metric. It's equivalent fastener rating is 10.9. I have not seen lug nuts or bolts marked with strength ratings.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Your Jeep is SAE which is a grade 8 rating. The Land Rover is metric. It's equivalent fastener rating is 10.9. I have not seen lug nuts or bolts marked with strength ratings.
True... Maybe not individual markings on the bolts themselves... but when you buy them from a trusted source/manufacturer they give their advertised/spec'd ratings. I see what you are saying though 383Vette. 10.9 is what the "OP" is after that is the equivalent of the trusted "Grade-8" rating I speak of I've always used on our beefed up Jeeps. Thank you for pointing that out to me as I'm brand new here. I've had my RRS Supercharged exactly 8 days (she spent 3 days getting readied by Hennessy Jaguar/Land Rover before they would let me take possession of her), and this is my first personally owned Foreign Luxury Vehicle. So I'm appreciating the education as I come along the way!👨‍🎓

ETA: Actually, I have seen individually marked bolts marked 10.9 for sure before... I know I have for sure, marked on the bolt heads! Just as I've seen Grade 8 marked bolts as well. It's more common to see the Grade 8 but then again that is what I'm used to and always looked for. 10.9 markings are certainly there though... I may have some in my spare parts bins in my garage I'll try and post pics of when I get home.

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
These just arrived, will be putting them on later when the heat has died down.

DSC_1590.jpg

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Finally fitted them, I think they look great. And most importantly, they are solid nuts - already struggled with one of the capped ones, so just-in-time!

Wheels will be getting powder-coated next year, in gummetal grey 👍

·
Registered
149 Posts

the last thing I want is capped nuts, as they tend to strip and leave you in a bind (happened to me recently in the Defender when I was off-road).

I bought a Craftsman lug nut "bite-down" stripped lugs set. The kit comes with 3 sized nuts guarenteed to remove just about any stripped sized lug. I keep them in my Recovery "Off-Road" bag for just in case along with a 2ft' half inch sized breaker bar for just in case. Some idiot put one side of my lugs to over 200ft lbs of torque and the other side to 35ft lbs of torque when getting new tires! I checked them immediately when I went home with the torque wrench. I'd never be able to get them off on the side of the road after being hit with an impact wrench over 200ft lbs with the stock lug wrench!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts