RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched with no luck so I am posting the Question!

First land rover and I bought a 2004 Range rover with what I thought was 115k on the clock.

It had the stereotypical pixel issue when I bought it and I didnt pay any attention to it because of the following...

I did a carfax and the mileage was verified correct...
Called the local dealer and asked what the most recent service date was with the last 6 of the VIN
I am in the Military with the seller and trust him to tell me the truth on what the mileage is...

you could still faintly see the mileage at 115k on the OD

Now that I fixed the pixels myself there is a -15xxx in the Odometer field when the key is first inserted. I was reading through the RAVE manual and i remember something along the lines of the ECU has its own mileage tracking.

I am hoping that the mileage is not 130k vs 115k

looking for a good answer on the forum. I am coming from a automotive back ground and have worked on BWM's before but never ran into this problem.

Any thoughts? RRPhil? I have been reading your posts here, you are the man! thanks for all the great info on the Transmissions!

·
Registered
138 Posts

First land rover and I bought a 2004 Range rover with what I thought was 115k on the clock.

It had the stereotypical pixel issue when I bought it and I didnt pay any attention to it because of the following...

Called the local dealer and asked what the most recent service date was with the last 6 of the VIN
I am in the Military with the seller and trust him to tell me the truth on what the mileage is...

Now that I fixed the pixels myself there is a -15xxx in the Odometer field when the key is first inserted. I was reading through the RAVE manual and i remember something along the lines of the ECU has its own mileage tracking.

looking for a good answer on the forum. I am coming from a automotive back ground and have worked on BWM's before but never ran into this problem.

Any thoughts? RRPhil? I have been reading your posts here, you are the man! thanks for all the great info on the Transmissions!
"key first inserted"...

You need to reset your service interval counter. The service interval uses the same display as the ODO when the truck is first started. "-xxxx" means that the represented mileage number has elapsed SINCE the last service was due, and this probably needs to be reset with your new or repaired cluster.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel like an idiot lol, just wanted to make sure I didnt get sscamed, Theres a lot of that in hampton roans Area (VA)... I just wanted to make sure... oils been changed since then just never reset.

When I First bought it it had a rattle on start up. I know its got a lot of timing chain in that motor so I put 0-40 Mobil 1 European in it with a OEM oil filter and it went away. I was looking at the differences in oil filters with the after market companies and the filters where way different?? makes me wonder if I should go OEM with the air filter..

·
Registered
138 Posts
I feel like an idiot lol, just wanted to make sure I didnt get sscamed, Theres a lot of that in hampton roans Area (VA)... I just wanted to make sure... oils been changed since then just never reset.

When I First bought it it had a rattle on start up. I know its got a lot of timing chain in that motor so I put 0-40 Mobil 1 European in it with a OEM oil filter and it went away. I was looking at the differences in oil filters with the after market companies and the filters where way different?? makes me wonder if I should go OEM with the air filter..
The rattle is the normal VANOS start-up rattle from the oil draining back into the oil sump after sitting a while (overnight usually). If an oil and filter change fixed it for you, I'd just continue to go with whatever you used.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sounds like you are seeing the Oil Service interval indicator ! Especially if it appears for a short time then goes away

1 - 5 of 5 Posts