RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi everyone !

I'm new member here. Sorry for my english in advance , since I'm from Russia) My car is 2010 RRS supercharged.

I faced with a problem in my engine. Piston rings should be changed , but it is not simply as with 4.2 S/C. Because spare rings just don't exist for aj133.
My friend from Kazakhstan, who own his Land Rover service, suggested me to use piston rings from Subaru Impreza WRX STI 2.0, as they used them before to change on few 5.0 S/C cars . But he did it 2-3 years before and doesn't remember the sizes. So , I'm providing small investigation now)

So, my friend told me that size of piston ring is 92.5-1.5-1.5-2.0. But I found one paper which states that piston ring size is 92.0-1.2-1.5-2.0 (may be these sizes for 5.0 N/A engine)

Friends, who could help me with the exact piston ring sizes ? Because I have to decide which piston rings from Subaru I need to buy.

PS This is 1000 % that it possible to use subaru wrx sti 2.0 piston rings.

IMG_7803.jpg

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,461 Posts
Call Land Rover UK and / or look for a spec (Topix) to get exact measurements. Best you do that directly from the source...but then why not order the rings directly from Land Rover UK and have them sent to you in Russia.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
231 Posts
Your welcome, the engine type is #AJ133-V8 so perhaps a reliable machine shop in your area
can pull up some specs on piston ring size for this engine as well. Best of Luck

·
Banned
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
139 Posts
Worth mentioning that changing just piston rings (if that is the only thing you plan on doing) is not always the best idea. It may wary with mileage but at some point the cylinder itself may wear in to ellipse (yes, in microscopic level) and existent rings would wear to match, if you just stick a new, perfectly round piston rings, you create more problems that trying to solve. Could be loss or uneven compression, abnormal oil consumption, etc.
Did you try to talk to guys from from HODOS AUTO? They seem to know thing or two about engines overhaul...
here the link to one of their Youtube videos, all the info should be there and they're in your part of the planet, not sure how close though...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcgrUO_pFvU

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Palnik, as mentioned above changing just rings is rarely a good idea. You certainly stick with appropriate rings for the engine you are working on. If your engine is worn enough to need rings then you have many other things to address. Replacing rings only on a high mileage engine Is short sited and in no way a rebuild or even a reliable "repair".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts