RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hilarity not withstanding, top engine clatter when warm only. Guessed and diagnosed by them that know to be a worn cam, turns out, tis not !! So that is a totally pointless job done. :) Next assumption is that is could be a damaged piston skirt or other piston issue. Just thought I would ask if anyone here has had a piston issue causing top end rattle clatter when warm only?

Not slipped liner issue as no coolant related problems what so ever.

Thought it was just worth an ask incase anyone here has experienced similar. I might start using some pretty offensive language soon like Toyota and Land Cruiser !

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
492 Posts
cam and lifter rattle is at its greatest at start up when oil pressure increases rattle will disappear or reduce , badly worn cam lifters will rattle all the time not just when hot do a compression test , you should have done this before doing any work , this will tell you if it is worth replacing cam lifters . no point guessing that just costs money . generally if cam lifters worn so is everything else unless its a premature failure, when you removed cam lifters was their any metal missing if so where do you think it went ,my guess is mains and big end bearings in other words replacing cam lifters is just a patch until the rest catches up
PS if you decide on a land cruiser get use to looking for 2nd gear and replacing wheel bearings, all these vehicles (4x4s in general) now have similar operating systems pioneered by range rover, so it will be interesting to see how they go in the future. I see a lot off trouble with todays vehicles but for some reason that's ok and accepted

R

·
0 Posts
could a liner not move without coolant leaking (so without a cracked block still a moving liner)?

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
If it's timed like a cam problem, it could be a worn rocker or shaft. OK when cold and the oil is thick but noisy once the oil thins down as it warms up. Is it an annoying rattle or a sounds like the bottom end is about to drop out?

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Not to rehash an oil debate, but I had a similar issue when the motor warmed up. The noise has been there since I bought the truck over two years ago w/ 80k on it.

Never got worse but was just super irritating to an OCD person such as me. It was thought to be a rocker or a flex plate. Switched to Valvoline VR1 20w50 and the noise vanished. It's been 3,000 miles and it has not come back. Super cheap thing to try.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input guys.

The consensus from the experienced guys helping is the least likely culprit is a slipped liner. So for now will soldier on and hope that to be so. If not will have to cross that bridge when coming to it. That said of course it cannot be ruled out 100% at this stage.

1 cam lifter had a small bit of surface metal missing the rest were all fine.

The car is a keeper so if I slowly end up rebuilding the engine that is fine by me. At least the cam etc. replacement has all been done now.

The next route will be to replace the pistons and see where that takes us. Might well try the oil trick Nico suggests in the mean time. Will be a slow repair project from now on I think.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Before pulling the heads to swap pistons, pull the rocker covers and take the shafts and rockers out. That can be done with the inlet manifold in place. At least you can check those for any wear before delving any deeper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts