RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The service department of the Solon, Ohio Land Rover dealership is recommending these tires. Anyone have any experience with these? Do you recommend?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I ran the Pirelli Scorpions which were a performance snow. THey were awful. Good for the low temps, but very poor on any amt of snow. THey had very little stopping ability for the Rover on any amt of snow. Granted, they were a performance tire and handled pretty good on the dry. I switched to The Nokians and there was an unbelievable difference. The Carving Edge you mention look like a good tread pattern, similar to the Nokians and much more aggressive looking than their performance winters. I'd go for the Nokians time and time again if you can get them. THey are THE winter tires. If not, the Pirelli Winter Carving edge have good reviews by other drivers on a few forums and a few reviews on tirerack.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I ran the Pirelli Scorpions which were a performance snow. THey were awful. Good for the low temps, but very poor on any amt of snow. THey had very little stopping ability for the Rover on any amt of snow. Granted, they were a performance tire and handled pretty good on the dry. I switched to The Nokians and there was an unbelievable difference. The Carving Edge you mention look like a good tread pattern, similar to the Nokians and much more aggressive looking than their performance winters. I'd go for the Nokians time and time again if you can get them. THey are THE winter tires. If not, the Pirelli Winter Carving edge have good reviews by other drivers on a few forums and a few reviews on tirerack.
Odd - I ran Scorpion Winters last winter and thought they were great. Better than the Blizzaks on my wife's Infiniti. Nokkian makes a great winter tire, but the speed rating is very low. Your truck can do 150. And even if you are doing "only" 120 on short bursts on an empty highway, I know I did not want to think about why my tire was rated for only 107. That's just me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
how much snow did you run your Scorpions in and where do you live?? I drive up to my house in VT often...its up a 1 mile shared dirt road, and also to Maine as well. In the winter I never pushed the RRS much over 100. Have an S8 with Dunlop 3Ds ...A great winter sport tire which I have tested up to 140ish......as well a a Pcar like you which sits inside in the winter...Now, the new V8 S/C may be more tempting....we shall see..maybe I'm being a little rough on the pirellis, but I was not impressed for real winter storms at all.....

I'd say if you live in mid atlantic then go with a winter performance for the 1-2 storms per year. If you are in the snow belt, or up in Canada, personally Id recommend a dedicated studless snow...

·
Registered
108 Posts
how much snow did you run your Scorpions in and where do you live?? I drive up to my house in VT often...its up a 1 mile shared dirt road, and also to Maine as well. In the winter I never pushed the RRS much over 100. Have an S8 with Dunlop 3Ds ...A great winter sport tire which I have tested up to 140ish......as well a a Pcar like you which sits inside in the winter...Now, the new V8 S/C may be more tempting....we shall see..maybe I'm being a little rough on the pirellis, but I was not impressed for real winter storms at all.....

I'd say if you live in mid atlantic then go with a winter performance for the 1-2 storms per year. If you are in the snow belt, or up in Canada, personally Id recommend a dedicated studless snow...
We had lots of snow in Northern NJ last year. Not like Mass, but it was the snowiest winter I remember. But I couldn't help but open it up on the turnpike. Hence my dilemma. Need performance winter.

I even put snows on my 911. More because the summer tires just spin (and the car gets tail-happy) when the temps drop into the 40s. But I rarely took it out because we had so much salt on the roads for weeks on end, and potholes bigger than volkswagens. Didn't want to ruin my BBS winters.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts

Exact opposite experience re Pirelli driving the full size RR around or under speed limit

·
Registered
29 Posts
To each their own. They are a winter performance tire. Put a pair of Nokians on and you will see a night and day difference. But hey, maybe they are the best of winter performance tires. To the original poster, the Winter Carvers look pretty good and have some good reviews.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
670 Posts
The service department of the Solon, Ohio Land Rover dealership is recommending these tires. Anyone have any experience with these? Do you recommend?
Amazing tires, I run them on my x5 and they far outperform the Blizzaks on my Rover.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ran them last year as well on my 2014 Range Rover Supercharged and i agree with everything mentioned above. I have tried Dunlop M3s on bmw x5 in the past which were the best snow tires i have ever used. I have also used the continental cross contact on range rover, which were ok and the blizzaks DM-V1 on the 2010 Range rover which are second to the dunlops. Now i am looking for a new set of winter tires for the 2014 range rovers and am really interested in the nokians, but my dealer had said that they don't make any that will fit the current range rover. Stephanhatch, could you please advise which nokians your using and is this on the current gen range rover?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I ran them last year as well on my 2014 Range Rover Supercharged and i agree with everything mentioned above. I have tried Dunlop M3s on bmw x5 in the past which were the best snow tires i have ever used. I have also used the continental cross contact on range rover, which were ok and the blizzaks DM-V1 on the 2010 Range rover which are second to the dunlops. Now i am looking for a new set of winter tires for the 2014 range rovers and am really interested in the nokians, but my dealer had said that they don't make any that will fit the current range rover. Stephanhatch, could you please advise which nokians your using and is this on the current gen range rover?
265 45 21 Nokian New HAKKAPELIITTA R2 SUV Snow Winter Tires

Those fit, I bought them on ebay - link here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251356159892?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

·
Registered
263 Posts
265 45 21 Nokian New HAKKAPELIITTA R2 SUV Snow Winter Tires

Those fit, I bought them on ebay - link here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251356159892?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Or the same tire in 255/50/R20 which my dealer will put on my RRS HSE when I take delivery in January

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Running the Nokian R2 SUVs 265/50R20 mounted on stock 20" LR rims. This si for a 2014 RRS with the Dynamic package. I agree with an earlier post about the DUnlop M3s. Great snow tire. Wife runs the DM-V1 on the Q7 and they are a pretty good tire as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts