RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 RR needs new tires (255/55/R19) due to cupping and associated increased road noise. I was planning to replace the stock Zeros with ATRs to increase off-road capability. I am off-road about once a week, and find the Zeros slide alot in mud, although I have never gotten stuck.

Any feedback on the ATRs would be appreciated. Do they provide a reasonably quiet ride on-road?

Thank you

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
272 Posts
Not on a RR, but I do have Pirelli ATR's on my Cayenne GTS. They are very quiet and composed on the road, have great dry/wet traction for an AT, the best hydroplace resistance I have experienced, and are better in everyway than the Michelin Lattitude's on my wife's RR.

Off-road they are OK for an AT, but not as good as the Yoko A/T-S or Revo's - in my opinion. They seem to chunk-up with mud more readily. I see no disadvantage to the ATR's over any all-season. CR ranked the ATR's as their #1 AT, with the Yoko's being #2.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4797707040/

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bgsntth, thank you for the input. It is good to here that the ATRs do well on road, since it is where I do the vast majority of my driving. However, it is disappointing they do no better in mud than what I have.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
272 Posts
They do better in the mud than any all-season I have experienced, just not as well as some other AT's that I have experienced. I would use the Yoko A/T-S if they made it in a size I could use on the Cayenne.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
31 Posts
I've been searching but haven't found any recent discussion on these tires. Looking for a decent all season tire that can manage a bit of snow & light off-roading, 10-15% use; and 85-90% normal dry highway/city driving.

I'm on Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 SUV's now. (255/55R19)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I put Pirelli Scorpian ATR tires on my car last weekend. I agree with the positive comments re. low road noise - I don't notice any difference as compared with non-atr tires. Not driven in wet yet. (Midwest drought). Will be going off-road next weekend - 'Pipeline' area withon teh Nicolet National Forest in NE Wisconsin. There is a combination of trails, sand, rocks, and (possibly) mud it we get some rain. I'll report back. Got them from Tire Rack, shipped to local Tires Plus to have them fitted, who price-matched, and I also didn't have to pay any shipping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had Scorpion ATRs for a little less than 2 years and have no complaints. They were much quieter than the old tires they replaced, but that is not a good comparison since the Zeros had gotten noisier with time. Traction off road seems better than the Zeros. I never had the Zeros in significant snow (it doesn't snow much in TN), but the Scorpions did well in a snow/ice mix we had last winter. I also got mine from Tire Rack.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the input. I decided to go with the Nokian WR G2 SUV. A bit cheaper than the Pirelli's at my local tire shop and decided to go with their good winter reputation (for an all-season tire).

·
Registered
209 Posts
So, went up to the Pipeline area of NE Wisconsin, and the new Pirelli Scorpian ATR's performed very well. Obviously not super-aggressive, but definately OK for most off-road situations. And I really do push mine very hard when off-road.

2012-08-11_14-55-41_354.jpg 2012-08-11_14-55-15_328.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks fun! I'm already slightly regretting not going with an A/T tire. While I love how quiet the Nokian's are on the highway, I'm just not as anxious to push the Rover hard off road (not a whole lot of mud here in CO, mainly chunky rock trails where I've gone). I parked next to an LR4 with Cooper Zeon LTZ's and was feeling a bit remorseful, they are nice and aggressive looking. Glad to hear the Pirelli's are working our for you, they are on my list for the next set.

·
Registered
256 Posts
These look great I have a set of 19" stock rims running Goodyear's for off road and for my daily commute a set of Stock 20" with Hankooks which are super quiet at highway speed. The Goodyears have a nice sidewall when I air them down a bit for running on Sand. Not found much in the way of Rock crawling spots in DC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts