RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I get back from this deployment I'm buying new tires for the RRSSC. The conties that are on it are crap. It' almost like you can watch the tread disappear when you go from location to location. So I'm looking at either Pirellis or Michilins as a replacement tire. Does anyone have any good feedback on them or another good tire? Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
521 Posts
I got the Michelin Diamaris and they are awesome.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My father has the Pirelli Scorpions on his cayenne and they seem to grip pretty good in any weather

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hmm.

Since you've got a S/C model, I'd pick the Mich's over the Pirelli - otherwise if only the HSE model, the Pirelli's would be better !

The Michelins' can cope with a greater performance envelope although more pricer, but Pirelli's work better in colder climates.

Check speed ratings and load rating variations versus the two brands or tread patterns and choose whichever is more suitable ?

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry but I have to disagree. I put Michelin Diamaris on my 2006 RRS SC after getting 33K from the stock contis and then another 30K from a 2nd set of Contis. Thought that the Michelins would do better. I had to trash the Diamaris after 17K!!!!!!!! Mind you I religiously rotate every 6K. Know have Hankooks and am doing fine.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
gbrown3622 said:
Sorry but I have to disagree. I put Michelin Diamaris on my 2006 RRS SC after getting 33K from the stock contis and then another 30K from a 2nd set of Contis. Thought that the Michelins would do better. I had to trash the Diamaris after 17K!!!!!!!! Mind you I religiously rotate every 6K. Know have Hankooks and am doing fine.
Huh? :shock: I don't have experience with the Michelins but having had the stock Continentials I can say anything is better than the stock Continentals. They are only better when compared to a wheel without a tire. They flat spot, they flat out suck in the snow and mud, and wear out fast. My snowtires last longer than the stock Conti's by 10K miles.

The Pirelli's have a scorpion on the sidewall which ups the cool factor IMO.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Must be a regional thing. I am in the deep south (what are snow tires?)and the contis performed great. Stuck like glue to the highway and had no issues. that is why I got the second set. Went to the Michelins only to try and get more miles. After that expensive lesson went to the Hankooks based on price and have been pleasantly surprised be performance

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
61 Posts
Even in the South Conti's wear out very fast

But they do stick well. Too bad they are on a SUV where the tires out perform the vehicle around the curves.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Yes, the conti is a summer tire (not all season or touring or blah blah blah); awesome grip (dry), short life.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Pirelli is definately the way to go.

The Michelins are way overpriced for what you get. The Scorpion Zero is an amazing tire. It rides better on 22s than my 20" factory contis.

You probably already know this, but You dont want to use the Pirellis when it's cold or at any time in snow or freezing temps in general

It is definately a hot weather summer tire only

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
446 Posts
Stuck the Hankook Ventus RH06 on my RRSC and have been happy with the last 20k miles. Switching them out this week for the Cooper Zeon LTZs... :D

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
446 Posts
baccocafe said:
Doesn't Cooper tire has more road noise and harsh ride-quality?

Works better offroad. Ideally I'd put on my old 18"s with the Cooper STTs, but I'd have to swap out my brakes and such if I wanted to use those.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts